Why become a member? ×

NGD: Epiphone G400

Jono Bolton

Excuse the crap iPhone photo, but it's a bit dark in the living room, I'll get more up when I get a chance.

Anyway, I picked this up today off Gumtree for the princely sum of 60 notes. It's my first guitar in over 2 and a half years, which was a worn brown G400, that I believe I sold to another BC'er (was it you? Can I have it back please?) It's in pretty good nick, although it's clearly been dropped as there's a couple of wee dings, and the tone knobs were pretty loose (sorted now though), and the silver top to one of the knobs is missing along with the black switch tip.

After I've been paid on Friday I'll get some new strings on it and clean it up, and I fancy a full SG scratchplate rather than the half sized one on it just now. Also, can anyone suggest what to do with the finish? It's a bit too glossy and thick for my liking, I fancy a worn finish like the one I had before.

• 4 weeks later...

On Monday, I did a little bit of work on my SG. Epiphones are notorious for having a thick clear coat, so after a lot of research, I decided to get out my hand sander and flatten the poly for a "worn" look. Below is the guitar before:

Edited by Jono Bolton

And after. As you can see, the red is a lot more muted. The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that there's some scratches on there. The process involved attaching a green Scotchbrite scouring pad to the sander and very slowly and gently reducing the shine on it.

Afterwards, I used car buffer to bring back some (but not all) of the shine, and get rid of the scratches. The process was quite lengthy, and I ran out of decent light to get some shots after the polishing was done.