Why become a member? ×

Hartke combo + extension cab. I need some opinions.

ChickenKiev

Waaay back in the olden days when bass cabs were really just guitar cabs with guitar drivers, a bigger driver moved more air & 1 15" driver with a 4x10 was a damn sight lighter than 2 4x10s (3 less ceramic magnets to carry).

These days it doesn't really matter if you're using 5" or 15", you can get the same frequencies covered (Phil Jones cabs are all 5" drivers).
Mixing drivers is just like getting a Hartke cab & "pairing" it with an Ashdown cab. They both sound different to one another. You don't know how it'll sound until you use the 2 together. Using one without the other will sound different again.
If you like the uncertainty, then mix drivers/cabs, it might sound good, it might not. If you find a cab you like, then you just add another if you need more volume.

What size gigs are you doing? Do you need a bigger rig than a single 1x15, 2x10 or 2x12?

For how much you're looking to spend, you could get a good 2x12 & whichever head you fancy & find that you have a rig that will cover almost any venue.
I don't know why Hartke don't do a 2x12 cab, though they have 1x12 cabs. I'd happily buy Hartke just going on the great customer service that they've shown on this very forum.

Edited by xgsjx

Club and bar gigs at the minute. But its deathcore, so LOUD. The band are cranking their 100 watt Marshall half stacks.

To put it another way, we play loud enough at practice that it gives you a spot of tinnitus for a day afterwards. We will be playing a bit louder live too.

My budget covers the costs if I were to buy everything new, but that is once I sell some of my pre-existing that never gets used. I've not even looked at used gear yet so I'll have to see if there's any bargains.

Unfortunately if you're playing Deathcore with 100 watt half stack wielding guitards means you'll need to run about 500 watts into a 4x10 (IME). Remember that the HX410 is an 8ohm cab so if you run it with the HA or LH head they wont be running at full tilt. FWIW, when I'm supplying backline for metal gigs I usually bring my LH500 and an Ashdown Mag 410 deep. They sound really good together and would cost very little if you go secondhand.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1382694545' post='2255444']
Remember that the HX410 is an 8ohm cab so if you run it with the HA or LH head they wont be running at full tilt.
[/quote]

However if you went for the LH1000 into a single 8 ohm Hydrive 4x10, in bridge mode it would still put out 750 watts. And the cab handles 1000 watt's, so it's still bloody loud.

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1382723965' post='2256034']
I'll probably swap the LH500 in the combo for a HA5500 in the far future though if that's possible. I'm sure it will be as the LH500 is in there using rack ears if I'm not mistaken.
[/quote]
Just a suggestion:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_hx410_hydrive_bundle_2.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_hx410_hydrive_bundle_2.htm[/url]

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1382765423' post='2256320']
Trust me, the LH1000 is one very, very loud amp!
[/quote]

I've no reason to doubt that. :)
I was merely stating that a cab's rating in watts tells you nothing about how loud it can go.
My wife had a 2000w surround sound system which wasn't anywhere near as loud as my 30w hifi.

4x10 cabs are a popular, but an outdated design. They're cumbersome & offer poor dispersion in comparison to a vertical array.
a 2x12 cab surpasses it in every way, offering a lighter, taller cab with better dispersion & usually better spl ratings.
I opted for 2x10 with the intention of adding a 2nd 2x10, but in the past 5 years I've never needed more than a 2x10 & my band are pretty loud.