Why become a member? ×

Eden 550 with sovereign pro speakers

Dev70

Hi everyone, I've bought the eden 550 traveller but can't afford eden cabs so bought 2 sovereign pro 500s 12" my plan is to run them in 2 separate old but solid H/H cabs what is ur thoughts on this I'm currently using a MM stingray ps don't be to hard on me lol

Really great amplifier. Just sheer co-incidence I've also got one. :lol:

Those speakers require the following:
"The Sovereign Pro 12-500 is intended for use in ported enclosures with volumes of 35 to 75 litres"

So, if the cabinets are ported — more on this later — and the internal volume is between those two figures, you at least stand a chance.

If you have a Windows PC, you might have a go at putting the speaker specs and cabinet details into WinISD, an application designed to help match speakers and cabinets. The port issue is important, as if the cabinets are sealed, you won't get the results you expect. Not only that, even if they are ported, the port tuning may be completely out for those speakers. This is where the software would come in, it would enable you to check.

I'll ask if this topic can be moved to the 'Amps and Cabinets' section under 'Gear' as you might get some better answers than I can give. Good luck with this anyway. :)

Good job you checked in here first before "ruining them in". No that's not a misprint.
As BFm says, the pages & pages of threads on this subject must now add up to a saga. So much so, that we need a pinned "Read This First" sub-forum.

However, you may be lucky. You may not be so lucky. We shall see.
We need to know detail. Tell us the exact description of the speakers you've bought - are they the Sovereign 12-500LF as shown on the Fane website?

Secondly, as a crude starting point only: the 2 H&H speaker boxes. We need the dimensions and a description of the ports or slots. Pictures would be helpful.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1382117109' post='2248299']
Good job you checked in here first before "ruining them in". No that's not a misprint.
As BFm says, the pages & pages of threads on this subject must now add up to a saga. So much so, that we need a pinned "Read This First" sub-forum.

However, you may be lucky. You may not be so lucky. We shall see.
We need to know detail. Tell us the exact description of the speakers you've bought - are they the Sovereign 12-500LF as shown on the Fane website?

Secondly, as a crude starting point only: the 2 H&H speaker boxes. We need the dimensions and a description of the ports or slots. Pictures would be helpful.

Balcro.
[/quote]I'd get the dimensions ready Dev if I were you. Balcro (Alan) was a great help to me with the DIY 1x15 Faital cab build I did earlier this year.
If the HH cabs don't pass muster for whatever reason the DIY route isn't anything to fear with the help you'll get on Basschat from Balcro, Phil Starr and others.
The birch ply for the cab I made (12mm 8x4 sheet) came to £42 incl VAT and the saw cuts( carried out on a saw bench with fixed fence) were thrown in free at Travis Perkins. I dare say there's cheaper suppliers and ply etc but the saw cuts were so accurate the build was very easy.
Regarding porting tube, the 4 inch ports popular on many cabs in the industry are (if I recall!) 102mm internal and 110mm external, either way it's the same as black soil stack poly pipe...
Good luck,
Martin

This is one of the latest and better threads on the wrong sized/poorly tuned box issue. There's some interesting pix of what happens when you get it wrong and a link to an excurson graph which shows what happens if the box is too large. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/218436-warning-kappalite-3015-not-designed-for-bass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/218436-warning-kappalite-3015-not-designed-for-bass/[/url]

If you follow the advice it shouldn't go that badly.