Why become a member? ×

Bass prices?!?!

AndyBob09

I agree with you guys - I bought my natural SR5H back in 2003 for £995 brand new. I'm sure people bought SR4s back in the early 90s for less than that. The prices fluctuate. The used ones have been pretty consistent.

As for Fender prices, well they those basses are flavour of the month currently and the other day I saw a thread on Talkbass seeking advice on swapping a US Stingray for an MIM Fender - being collected by men in white coats springs to mind.

The prices generally reflect what people are willing to pay and how desperate to sell they are. Plus elements like current fashion or special features which may raise the price.

Don't underestimate fashion - I was listening to the radio yesterday and several tracks from the 80s were featured - there was not a bass guitar in sight - all synths. And guess what - prices of the more ubiquitous guitars were rock bottom then - I sold a Stingray easily at that time for half as much again as I paid for it new then - a studio bought it - but pity the poor Fender owner trying to sell at that time - worse still the owner of a new one.