Why become a member? ×

Ruby amp help

rainbowreality

Hi everyone!

I'd built a ruby amp with the bassman mods and it's been working fine with my bass with passive pickups by now I've started using a bass with active pickups it doesn't cope at all.

It just produces very loud clicks unless the bass is turned almost zero volume and then it's mostly hiss with tiny bit of bass.

I'm assuming it's because the input level is just too much. Does anyone know of a mod that will allow active input?

Any help or advice very gratefully appreciated!

yep you were right! It was a connection that was at fault, causing the problem. Durrr, assumed it was the active input because it was the new element in the equation!

Out of interest though, if I put a switched resistor in line with the volume pot would that work like a volume cutter/active switch? So say would a resistor half the value of the volume pot halve the total volume?

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1381611912' post='2241490']
Out of interest though, if I put a switched resistor in line with the volume pot would that work like a volume cutter/active switch?
[/quote]

It would, but its likely to make a hell of a click when you switch it over.

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1381611912' post='2241490']
So say would a resistor half the value of the volume pot halve the total volume?
[/quote]

Not really.
It would depend on the position of the volume control when you threw the switch and whether the pot is linear or logarithmic.

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1381617922' post='2241570']
Do you know any way to avoid that click in a circuit? Apart from not doing it that is!
[/quote]

There are loads of ways of doing it, some of them more complex than others.
The easiest one is to just use an ON-OFF-ON switch - that central 'OFF' point will be thud free.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1381665419' post='2241923']

There are loads of ways of doing it, some of them more complex than others.
The easiest one is to just use an ON-OFF-ON switch - that central 'OFF' point will be thud free.
[/quote]

Brilliant! simple but effective, a bit like me. (Except I don't seem to have developed the effective bit yet)