Why become a member? ×

French Bow recommendations.

SevenSeas

Wanted different opinions on current French bows on the market, I am definitely not looking to break the bank and I don't plan on being in a top orchestra.

I have a french bow that came with the bass I brought and it does the job, it's okay but nothing special. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

There seems to be three types of woods often used?

- Brazilwood. (the cheapest type of wood)
- Pernambuco (rare and probably extremely expensive)
- Carbon Fibre (the imitation of the Pernambuco wood but without the price tag)

I don't know how accurate that is but I read an article that basically summarised this.

So I would imagine most of the recommendations would be of the Carbon Fibre bows?

I would say my budget would be £300. (I have a feeling spending more than this would be a bit crazy for my needs) I'm not sure how the price breakdown of bow works because there seems to be a trend with double basses that when you spend over X - amount, the quality will increase tenfold. (I hope I made that understandable)

Is there anywhere in the UK where you can try out lots of bows? Surprisingly when I have been on the hunt for a double bass I haven't given the bow a thought.

Cheers,

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1381504675' post='2240029']
Is there anywhere in the UK where you can try out lots of bows? Surprisingly when I have been on the hunt for a double bass I haven't given the bow a thought.
[/quote]

A bow emporium would be wonderful ! If your budget is in the region of £300 personally I would look at carbon fibre as they produce good sound, are well balanced ( and not too heavy - unlike budget student bows) and are good value for money. The David Gage Metropoilitan , Coda Revelation and the Col Legno all have good reviews but may be pushing your budget a bit.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1381505367' post='2240049']
A bow emporium would be wonderful ! If your budget is in the region of £300 personally I would look at carbon fibre as they produce good sound, are well balanced ( and not too heavy - unlike budget student bows) and are good value for money. The David Gage Metropoilitan , Coda Revelation and the Col Legno all have good reviews but may be pushing your budget a bit.
[/quote]

Fantastic, the Gage and the Coda are a little out of my budget. (I could ultimately save more money but for my needs the Col Legno) looks like a great bow for the price. Martin Bailey has one for £328 which is quite good.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1381509110' post='2240119']
I got my Coda Revelation for £250 - second hand. Guess you have to hope that something will come up.
[/quote]

Hey Mark, yeah true. Theres no major panic for a bow, I'm just looking for an upgrade.

Looking at a double bass next week which could be the one I have been looking for, (already brought strings and a pickup) and arranged a decent setup.

.... I am now basically skint. (as you can imagine) so I'm going to have to find some more hours at work to upgrade my bow.

I will look out for second hand bows though,

Cheers,

Keep searching for a second hand bow - they do come up and you can get a lot more for your money within your budget.

I managed to get a second hand carbon fibre Col Legno bow, which came without hair or leather, but I sent it to Andrew McGill for a new leather and re-hair and the entire cost still came in at £150. I also have a cheap Pernambuco bow from Yita music that most people wouldn't recommend or at least would recommend a carbon bow above this, but it is definitely the equal in terms of sound and playability - it doesn't quite have the 'curve' and strength of the carbon, but it is an excellent bow.

My DB came with a Brazil wood Erich Steiner bow (4/4 size, I think) and I would only use it as a back up in comparison to the other two, it is definitely a grade or two down in feel and playability.

I have a Finale French Bow as per here:

[url="http://www.stringemporium.com/carbon-fiber-upright-bass-bows.htm"]http://www.stringemporium.com/carbon-fiber-upright-bass-bows.htm[/url]

I did a lot of research when I bought it and it was considered by many on-line to be fantastic VFM and compared favourably with wooden bows that were far more expensive. I think it came in at around £200 when import duties were included. I use if rarely as bowing is not something I have got into yet (I want to but not had the time) but it certainly does the job and is easier to use than the bow that came with the bass.

I have heard good things about Yita bows - though the hair jobs are supposed to be terrible, so you'd have to factor the cost of a re hair into the price. But several professional orchestral players own them in London - use them as back up bows.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1381747457' post='2243014']
I have heard good things about Yita bows - though the hair jobs are supposed to be terrible, so you'd have to factor the cost of a re hair into the price. But several professional orchestral players own them in London - use them as back up bows.
[/quote]

Hi Mark,

I am probably going to take the plunge a buy one of the Yita bows, a third of the price to one of the Col Segno bows and the quality is probably very similar. Of course the reason these bows are a lot cheaper because of labour costs but at the end of the day I get a nice bow and they get a sale. (so everyone wins).

Funnily enough my current bow (which does the job... but it isn't anything special) is apprantly a Pernambuco which most be absolute rubbish, are Gear for Music allowed to falsely sell products? (It came with the bass, so no loss for me)

Cheers,

Any decent violin shop. I'd ask Martin Penning who he'd recommend. Both violin shops in Bristol should be good. I'm sure there are luthiers and archetiers in Devon and Somerset.
Speaking of Archetiers - Stephen Bristow lives in Somerset and makes bows (very expensive) but also sells imported bows for less money, I reckon he'd know how to do a decent rehair!