Why become a member? ×

Input on bass sound for recordings

Jono_TPD

hello folks,

This is my first post on here and I want to ask for advice and input on the bass sound and the mix of "these precious days" new track called "Ascension". It's all been recorded at home and we have mixed it all ourselves and as much input/advice would be great from you especially considering the bass tone, I would like as much as possible and everything will be taken on board tell me what you like and don't like about the bass sound and any improvements on technique etc etc.........

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvSehADfMIo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvSehADfMIo[/url]

I quite enjoyed that, very catchy chorus!

I've only listened to it on a pair of earphones on my work computer, but through those at least, that sounded very professional for a home mix - I certainly wish I could get my home recordings to sound that good!

The bass tone certainly has plenty of "oomph" to it, a very pleasing low grunt (are you using a pick, quite close to the bridge, or is that just the way it's been compressed?) You do get a little bit buried during the choruses, when the distorted guitars are going full steam ahead, but then I guess that is the lot in life of a rock bassist! I guess that's up to you: people will probably still feel the bass, even if they don't quite hear it. If you wanted to be more audible you could try putting a bit more treble on the bass track and sit in the frequency spaces where the guitars would sound too scratchy.

I realise I'm being quite vague; I'm mostly going on what I've watched far more experienced engineers doing, so all my advice should be served with a generous handful of salt!

I can't thank you enough for your replies guys it all helps me as an individual a lot more and feedback is what I need, I've never done this kind of thing before and decided it is time to do it.. I didn't use a pick I'm strictly a finger style guy and there is compression on it too to kind of calm down my heavy hitting on the strings lol (bad technique I know) on the chorus section I put some distortion on the bass to try and cut through a bit more but didn't get the right frequencies for it, I have a few gigs coming up with professional sound engineers so I may ask them what they do live, it may help during studio mixes too and I'm glad you actually like the track too !!!
Thank you again