Why become a member? ×

Dull E Strings

oggiesnr

So this came up elsewhere with a couple of views on it.

So, is it reasonable to expect a bass to sound across it's range? Does a dull E string actually matter?

From my perspective it does. A lot of my live work is with a North West Morris team so a lot of the tunes are in G or Em, I play un-amplified. When I had my bass fettled one of the big things I needed with the position of the sound post etc was to open up the E and also the fingered low G as these are key notes for me.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Steve

I've often wondered what effect moving the sound post can actually do. Could this solve a dead E string problem. Or more to the point if the sound post moved could you wreck your sound instantly.

I know of one bass player who bought his own sound post adjuster to try this out.

I've done some recording recently and there was no amp or pickup in sight. Just a couple of mics. Surely this wouldn't have been good with a dead E?
Saying that I know what BassAce means amplified is a different kettle of jellied eels.