Why become a member? ×

Gas-pass! My get out of jail free card

basshead56

Hi all,

Ok, so I've had another GAS attack. But I think I've convinced myself, and more importantly, the missus that it was for the best.

For the last 2 years I've slowly been building my southern hemisphere rig, getting some genuinely fantastic basses and amps and all for not much money (have a trip back home to Ireland and a wedding to pay for!).
After getting my hands on the only BH250 in New Zealand (chuffed with that!) I said - done!!! No more gear and promised the soon-to-be-missus the same.
Besides, I'll be packing up my gear in Ireland and shipping it down here in the not-too-distant (bye bye floor space in the music room!)

But I had a get out of jail free card - A while back, we had a chat at a nice lunch out in a fancy cafe. We were talking about my gear and it's value and I said ok, I've got enough for what I'm doing and that from now on, I will be good and not buy anything else too massive/expensive, and I wrote a wee note to that effect and signed and dated it - in a fun but morally binding kind of way. Then I thought, hang on, there are a couple of dream basses that even though I might not actually NEED them, I have always wanted/lusted over. She thought that was fair enough (given my addiction; hey - I don't smoke, do drugs and not much of a drinker any more, a man needs a vice!), so I wrote an addendum - a list of 6 basses that, should they come around (and not cost the earth), I have her blessing to go for.

Well guess what...
Saturday afternoon came around and I found a Dean Stylist Cabbie on fleabay in Oz.

Good condition, flats and hardcase included AND he will ship across the Tasman!

A very quick 'discussion' went exactly like this:

Me: "Come and check this out. I'm going to bid"

Her: "Sorry Col, but remember our chat and your 'contract' ?"

Me: "Sure do honey, but look at the piece of paper" (folded note produced from her purse)

Her: "Oh yeah. Yip, it's definitely on there-at the top. Hey that looks pretty cool, you should get it!"

Bugger it I thought! I'll place a bid and wait till I'm outbid just before it closes at 4am. :rolleyes:
Woke up this morning to an email telling me I'd won (at start price of $500 AUD / $565 NZD).
Shipping and customs will be another $320NZ or so

Delighted but a bit a tiny bit gutted (think I've grown up a bit - again, holiday, wedding and a few DIY bits need doing!).

Oh well, I have been after one of these since they came out and I have a sales bonus coming next month, so how bad...

I have amended the 'gas pass' contract and whittled the list down to one last bass.
But read this now...

No More GAS!!! B)

Edited by basshead56

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='antnee' timestamp='1381957159' post='2246160']
Haha, epic get out of jail!

Your collection looks incredible. If you're ever looking to unload the Danelectro or MH Sig Jazz Bass, I am always happy to help!
[/quote]

Cheers mate.

Yip, she's a beauty! Just a couple of mods to make (dice knobs and TV Jones pups to add!)

Yeah the collection's reached its peak I reckon. Pretty much all gassed out at this stage. Funny that the only couple left on 'the list' are relatively cheap/inexpensive - I've done the hard yards already! haha