Why become a member? ×

Simple fingering Q

fatback

I have found this a few times as well. If I use one finger to hold both strings it just sounds bad but if I use one finger and then another it leaves me in a strange position to move to the next note.
On EB I'd just use one finger to press down both strings but should this be done on DB, or is it just if it works, yes, if it doesn't, no?

I generally try and bar a finger across the 2 notes. I've found that quite often the lower note is slightly flat so that's something to work on. I also now and again jump with the same finger down to the note but it's generally more difficult i've found.

Trying to use two different fingers going from an F to the C directly below requires a massive turn of the hand especially if you have to jump back up. Not many people are going to notice the change in tone during very fast passages apart from yourself so baring is defiantly a really good option. Mozart passages come to mind.

Also if it is a very fast passage you'll be using far less left hand pressure so as long as you get the note i wouldn't worry too much.

How fast are we talking?

Edited by fatgoogle

Lol, I suggest being capable of doing anything that is required for the music.... Technique is only a tool in making music... If you practice both surely you can never become unstuck? Just practice slow and increase tempo... with everything you do. Or see a tutor... More than likely, they are going to say the same thing!

Edited by FLoydElgar

Double stopping and flattening one finger to form a bar on the 4th interval is often the only thing to do on fast and short passages . That said, flattening out any finger(s) by 'barring' for long periods places a lot of strain on the hand so best avoided on 'long haul' repetitive passages. I find pivoting around and using 2 fingers is more comfortable in those situations but as fatgoogle says its a major position shift of the arm both in and out , and the intonation has to be spot on.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1378396909' post='2199700']
Double stopping and flattening one finger to form a bar on the 4th interval is often the only thing to do on fast and short passages . That said, flattening out any finger(s) by 'barring' for long periods places a lot of strain on the hand so best avoided on 'long haul' repetitive passages. I find pivoting around and using 2 fingers is more comfortable in those situations but as fatgoogle says its a major position shift of the arm both in and out , and the intonation has to be spot on.
[/quote]

Thanks. It's good to know there's more than one way of dealing with the problem. :)