Why become a member? ×

Scratch Built Bass #4 - now with LED markers.....

Jabba_the_gut

I've now added some binding to the fretboard by way of two strips of veneer. I think it looks quite nice but I have left myself absolutely no room for error when sanding the neck else I could go through the sycamore veneer and through to the wenge which won't look good. I'm going to pin the fretboard to the neck and sand it exactly to width to see if I can get away with it. If not, it will be back on the router and try again!!

The issue is that the fretboard is very slightly wider than the neck in a couple of places, probably only by 0.3mm but the veneer is only 0.6mm thick and this could be an issue where the curve of the neck comes round to the side of the fretboard.Might be needing a rethink on this.......!!

I have got some white LEDs prepared to install in this neck which I don't want to install until I know the fretboard will fit correctly as there are a complete pain to make up. I also have a replacement fretboard but it has a slight mineral mark in so I don't want to use it on this build - very picky I know!!

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1453155395' post='2957009']
Did some rough sanding to see if this would work and it won't! Shouldn't be too hard to fix - I'll use the router to remove the binding and trim the board a little. Then I'll redo the binding with a little bit more room for error.......
[/quote]
It's a beggar when you have to redo something like this, but it is always better than a quick fix that, if you're like me, always niggles even if no one else notices...

• 3 weeks later...

....and fitted some new binding. Still not happy with it as there is a small glue line between the veneer layers that will annoy me!! So, off the binding has come again and the fret board cleaned up again. New bindings are trimmed and ready to have another go - hopefully more successful this time......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...