Why become a member? ×

Any Tewkesbury/North Gloucestershire bassists out there?

bobpalt

After 13 years with my function band, my wife and I have decided to take some time off when she retires next January to travel, and with massive sadness I can no longer commit to the needs of the band.

We gig about 20 times a year, although have the capacity and public demand to do more if we wanted to. We just find that as we are all family men who gig for pure pleasure it keeps things fresh and we enjoy every outing to the full. We used to do more gigs, but found that when it starts to become a "job" some of the fun goes. We have superb quality pa and lighting equipment which the new bassist would be expected to take over my share in, although this is not as financially onerous as it might sound as its all depreciated and the share wouldnt be based on new cost!

The band has six members, drummer (aged 62), bass (me, 59) rhythm guitar (55), lead guitar and musical arranger (35), keyboard and vocals (33) and female singer (33). A wide spread of ages, but everyone gets on like a house on fire and we have social nights at each others houses, go out for meals as a group etc. We practice once a week at our own practice facility which the drummer built in his house (bless him), using a central headphone system so its nice and quiet for the neighbours.

What we are looking for to replace me is a keen, reasonably talented (I have dreams of adequacy!) and friendly local to Tewkesbury bass player with good equipment, who could commit to the practice and gigging regime without any delusions of earning a fortune. As we say, its a hobby that pays for itself. We do a lot of weddings and get paid quite well (£1250 for a wedding is the norm)playing the usual covers, perhaps with a bias recently towards a bit of soul but certainly covering every genre, , but pay ourselves wages of £100 each a gig with beer and food coming from the kitty if need be, and we share the balance out at the end of the year after paying for insurance, new gear etc. The band really are keen and very friendly, so you would make a few new mates very quickly. This cameraderie is as important as the music to us. Anyone interested?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry I'm late to the party.... only just seen this advert but thought it was worth getting in touch in case you (or anyone you know) is looking for a bassist in the future. I'm in Cirencester, formerly Pro/Semi Pro with covers bands doing the North East working men's club circuit. Basses include Warwick fretted and fretless 5 stringers with a versatile amp rig that goes from a compact 1 wedge shaped cab right through to a concert sized multiple cab setup, I also play a bit of keyboards and have a midi setup which allows me to play keyboard sounds either direct from the bass or from midi foot pedals. I'm looking to add an electric upright bass in the near future too so some paid gigs would be nice to finance that! Get in touch if you're still looking! Many thanks. Regards, Tim