Why become a member? ×

Suitable power amps

Happy Jack

Dave,

I'm very tempted by your rack-mounted pre-amps, but my budget won't stretch too far on power amps. Also, I'm seriously ignorant on how to put a rig together!

I'm thinking in terms of running two Eden cabs (D210XLT's), each 4 Ohms. For rehearsals and smallish gigs I already have a decent amp (Eden WTX-260) so this new project would be my "big rig", brought out twice a year to jeers from the rest of the band. :)

I'm assuming my best bet would be a dual-channel power amp, something like 250W per channel @ 4 Ohms. Obviously there's loads to choose from out there, and eBay has no shortage of Carlsbro Powerline and Warrior SB / DA amps.

If I buy a 2nd-hand power amp from the low end of the market, will that ruin the benefits of your high-end pre-amps?

Are there any amps / ranges / manufacturers that you would recommend as being either a great fit with your kit, or being a particularly bad match?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='218107' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:20 AM']Dave,

I'm very tempted by your rack-mounted pre-amps, but my budget won't stretch too far on power amps. Also, I'm seriously ignorant on how to put a rig together!

I'm thinking in terms of running two Eden cabs (D210XLT's), each 4 Ohms. For rehearsals and smallish gigs I already have a decent amp (Eden WTX-260) so this new project would be my "big rig", brought out twice a year to jeers from the rest of the band. :)

I'm assuming my best bet would be a dual-channel power amp, something like 250W per channel @ 4 Ohms. Obviously there's loads to choose from out there, and eBay has no shortage of Carlsbro Powerline and Warrior SB / DA amps.

If I buy a 2nd-hand power amp from the low end of the market, will that ruin the benefits of your high-end pre-amps?

Are there any amps / ranges / manufacturers that you would recommend as being either a great fit with your kit, or being a particularly bad match?[/quote]

I think that as long as you get a power amp that does not colour or distort the sound then it will work well. There are a lot of cheap Class D amps available which should be be great. Small, light weight, low cost and very clean sound.