Why become a member? ×

The Modes Explained

yamahabass

Hi everyone,

If anyone is interested in learning what the Modes are about and how to use them , I have a webpage with free videos and lessons.
Please visit
http://www.advancedbassguitar.info/lessons.html

I have just started teaching on youtube, so let me know if these are helpful to you.
Any requests or advice are also welcome!
Thx

Haha, well what I mean is that it's sort of missing what modes are i.e. Same notes, same order, different starting point. I just thought it might clear it up as it made it clear for me in the beginning. Of course, going into the whys and why nots was the next part. :P

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1376685431' post='2178127']
Haha, well what I mean is that it's sort of missing what modes are i.e. Same notes, same order, different starting point. I just thought it might clear it up as it made it clear for me in the beginning. Of course, going into the whys and why nots was the next part. :P
[/quote]

correct. music is maths in a 'listenable' format.

i struggle with viewing it in this way, because i'm lazy.

..but also because learning the maths without feeling the passion to express, seems to end up in passionless music.

solve that equation, ... and i'm 'all ears'.

;)

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1376686257' post='2178134']
correct. music is maths in a 'listenable' format.

i struggle with viewing it in this way, because i'm lazy.

..but also because learning the maths without feeling the passion to express, seems to end up in passionless music.

solve that equation, ... and i'm 'all ears'.

;)
[/quote]
great! :)

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1376685431' post='2178127']
[/quote]
right, yes they are certainly the same notes and although they start on a different note they follow the same order. But the whole point to me of modes is that they are chord scales or scales that derive from chords. So if you are going to understand what modes are, you really need to understand them in their harmonic context. Using maths and presenting them in this fashion is just going to confuse a student into thinking that modes are really complex mathematical equations when in reality they are quite simple chord extentions that are just presented in a lineal fashion.
i sound like a really boring old git now! haha