Why become a member? ×

cap wiring queery for jazz bass

tom skool

Any ideas why the cap on my columbus j bass goes inbetween the 1st lug(going clockwise)of the tone pot to the 3rd of the bridge vol pot?

The rest of the wiring is standard according to the diagrams I've found and cant find any diagrams where its done this way. Does it make any difference? If so what?

its a .047 cap and the pots are 500k.

Also if A is log and B is linear. what is D?? my tone pot says D500k!

cheers
tom

Do you mean it links with the black wire from the pick up? If so the capacitor in that circuit is in series with the tone capacitor linking the signal to earth. This is quite normal.

I can draw this for you as a circuit diagram, but not right now on my phone :D

Edited by Grangur

Are you talking about the wiring on a brand new bass from a shop?
Or is this a 2nd hand bass where someone may have "upgraded" the elects?
Does the tone pot work/function well as it is?

Over about 3 years of buying 2nd hand basses I've found most have caps wired in the wrong place, so the tone doesn't function. The other thing folk do is put in 500K pots where 250K should be used.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='tom skool' timestamp='1376577090' post='2176334']
On this diagram it would be the lowest lug on the bridge vol over to the right hand side lug of the tone as shown.
[/quote]
If you mean like the diagram below then when the tone pot is fully up the resistance of the tone pot will be in parallel with the capacitor rather than being in series (as standard). I'm not sure what effect this has but the cap isn't connected to ground so the signal should retain treble. When the tone pot is fully rolled off the capacitor is effectively bypassed so there will be no treble roll off. Does the tone control in your Columbus actually work?!

[attachment=141626:jazz-bass-std.jpg]

Edited by ikay