Why become a member? ×

Would changing the fittings de-value my bass?

Kevstein

Hi all,

I was just wondering if someone could help me out. I know i've said de-value in the title of this thread but basically, i am absolutely useless as far as bass knowledge goes.

I didnt pay much for the thing so i dont mind about the de-value so much but was just wondering what the script would be for changing the fittings with regards to the sound of it?

You'll see in my other posts that I have a Charvette by Charvel model 400 bass from 1989. I have already ruined it by painting it from its original black to red when i was 14 or so. Looks better but as far as de-valuing it, the damage is done id say (not that its very valuable anyways).

I had planned to sand her down again and spray it a different colour being extra careful to make a really decent looking job of it.

I have been looking at alternative fittings for it and i quite fancied certain body colours with gold knobs, bridge, pegs etc. Or some other colours but with black fittings instead.

The bridge im looking at is made by Wilkinson and looks identical to the one thats on it but its gold or black and costs abot 20quid. Am i essentially going to ruin the sound of it by putting this stuff on?

This thread is longer than it needed to be. I know... lol.

Cheers for the help,

Kev.

Modifying a bass is a rite of passage that most of us go through Kev. In some ways you need to go through it.

The reality is though, that the bridge you already have will be fine, as will be the pickups and the tuners.

But, a Wilkinson bridge will be good too! But then you won't be happy till the tuners match the bridge and so on....

I have an old Aria which I modded, I sprayed all the chrome bits black.

It took me ages, then the paint rubbed off..... :blush:

I always wanted EMG pickups, so I simply found some letters out of an old Airfix kit and stuck the letters on. In my head they sounded better..

You will never devalue your first bass mate, you will probably just buy a new one eventually, and then put your Charvette away someplace where you

will rediscover it a few years time, and smile.

Just do it. If you're worried about devaluing keep the original fittings. They can always be put back on! I agree that modding is a right of passage. Just do whatever is going to make you happier to play the thing. I learned a lot modding basses about what I wanted as a player. I've ended up with standard basses as a result but the process was a lot of fun!

As Cocco said, go ahead.
Keep the original bits so you can reverse anything your unhappy with. With a new bridge going on just be sure to set it all up properly.
I doubt changing to a Wilkinson bridge will make much difference to your sound, if you were going for a Babicz or Badass then you may get improved sustain but they come at a high cost.

Just go ahead and enjoy, what you learn in the process will always serve you well and theres always loads of info and advice on here.

Perhaps you could start a project thread and show us what your up too.

Edited by Voodoosnake

Yeh ok, i will do.

The bass sounds great, except a loose wire thats causing horrible buzzing when i touch or turn the tone knob, so im taking her to bits tonight to re solder her and make sure everything is in order.

Then the sanding can begin and the paint/fittings will be bought over the weekend.

Good idea to keep the old stuff. Only reason im changing it is for the looks as shes looking tired. And then in future i can always change those for upgraded parts instead of just different colour.

Cheers for the advice guys.