Why become a member? ×

Epiphone should reissue the EB3L

Samashton12

Hey Guys

I'm 6ft 4", I love the 70s Gibson EB3 but I'm rather poor and I look silly playing a short scale (finally realized this last year after looking at pictures of me playing my old EB0 :( )

All i ask for is a long scale EB3 (Possibly 70s styled with the Chicken Head selector and middle route pickup) with dot inlays. :gas:

Would anybody else actually buy one?

Thanks,
Sam

As per the above, the current Epiphone EB3 is long-scale. It seemed a nice enough bass for the price, making me wish there was a Gibson option... but, then again, they've now done the long-scale EB 2013, so may Gibson think they're off the hook.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1375359528' post='2160213']
As per the above, the current Epiphone EB3 is long-scale. It seemed a nice enough bass for the price, making me wish there was a Gibson option... but, then again, they've now done the long-scale EB 2013, so may Gibson think they're off the hook.
[/quote]

There is the Epiphone EB3, but it has trapezoid inlays and not dots :(

Other wise it would be an option

Edit: Those EB 2013's aren't very nice! :ph34r:

Edited by Samashton12

Ah - I was a bit of a fan of the block inlays, I must admit!

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1375362217' post='2160269']
Edit: Those EB 2013 aren't very nice! :ph34r:
[/quote]

Horses for courses, which is no bad thing. I really like my EB 2013. It's not an EB, but it's Gibson having a go at a new bass - lightweight; slim neck; good bridge for a change; and coil-tapping humbuckers, I really enjoyed it :)

The finish could probably be wiped off with a cloth, so it's probably also one for the relic'ing fans :lol:

I've been playing an Epi EB-3 myself for a few years now - it's become my main bass with my current band. I'm about 6'2 myself, so I too look a bit silly with a 30" scale bass. If anything, this is kind of the opposite, as with a relatively small body and a 34" scale, the first fret seems a lot further away than it does on my other basses!

Mine has the chicken-head selector, though only two pickups (neck and bridge position), and trapezoid inlays rather than dots. Still quite the beauty. And it's in cherry red, like all good SG derivatives should be. Kind of neck-heavy though, but I'm sure you've been warned about that before.

I think - though I couldn't be sure - that they've changed the neck profile on the more recent ones. Played one in a guitar shop while trying an amp and the neck seemed noticeably thinner, though it might just have needed a decent setup.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1375363286' post='2160298']
Kind of neck-heavy though, but I'm sure you've been warned about that before.
[/quote]

Yeah, my Thunderbird neck dives, not a but as other 'birds ive played so i live with it, although its a relief when i play something nicely balanced for a change!

Wish i could colour over the inlays in brown pen and replace them with dots! then the current EB3 would definitely be an option :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1375362723' post='2160281']
Horses for courses, which is no bad thing. I really like my EB 2013. It's not an EB, but it's Gibson having a go at a new bass - lightweight; slim neck; good bridge for a change; and coil-tapping humbuckers, I really enjoyed it :)

The finish could probably be wiped off with a cloth, so it's probably also one for the relic'ing fans :lol:
[/quote]

It looks a cross between a Mosrite Ventures and Epiphone Wilshire :D