Why become a member? ×

Who's got a U-bass?

AussieBassman

I'd ignore the detractors here and decide for yourself, as they could very easily a lot of tones that you'd hear on classic hip hop, R&B and soul records. They definitely are very interesting. Some people just like to keep their ears closed to new ideas from time to time.

I saw the one that's been for sale on here, looked it up on Youtube and found the clips of Bakithi Kumalo and James Hill doing "Billie Jean", and that sold it to me. Then I found a good deal on a brand new mahogany one, so I bought that. I'm not in a uke band, though, we've just been doing more "acoustic"** rock gigs in very small venues and I didn't get on at all with the acoustic bass I had.

I haven't had a chance to try it with the band yet, but it's great to pick up unplugged for a noodle. I've seen recommendations to use a preamp with it - does anyone have any suggestions for that? I've got a Behringer MIC100, but there's no eq on that.

Also, I've seen mixed reviews of the Thunderguts strings - sticky feel, too bright? Any thoughts on those, before I lay out £25?

** the quotes because our acoustic gigs seem to involve as much, or even more electronics than the normal ones.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1376152958' post='2170331']

Also, I've seen mixed reviews of the Thunderguts strings - sticky feel, too bright? Any thoughts on those, before I lay out £25?

[/quote]

I'm building a Ubass and would like to know peoples preferences on Thunderguts or the stock Pahoehoe strings.
From my research it seems the Thunderguts are higher tension and a tad more trebley, while the Pahoehoe have more thump but are stickier, Road Toad who make the Pahoehoes state that the short scale, even lower tension ones feel sticky, I don't want that but I do want black if I can.
Do folks feel the standard one the ubass comes with are sticky at all?
Sorry for the hijack :blush:

I didnt find the standard strings sticky at all, and once they were fully stretched in (quite a long process),felt they were excellent. I didnt feel the need to change them, but when I later bought one of the solid bodied uke basses (Sub-U)the strings, which looked just like the UBass strings were horrible, and I changed them to Thunderguts. The change was remarkable. They stayed in tune much better, sounded very good and powerful (bright?) and I was well pleased. I think though that the Sub-U was fitted from new with cheap copy strings though, as they certainly werent up to the standard hollow bodied UBass strings feel and tone.

Played it a bit at band rehearsal last night. Straight into the amp it distorts very quickly, but I've got a Big Muff and used that as an EQ/DI, with the sustain turned right down, and that was better. No problems with tuning, but I think it had a while to stretch in the shop. Rest of the band think it's cool. Weekend after next there's an acoustic gig, so that'll be the test.

• 4 weeks later...

I play double bass, and I'm putting a lot of effort into making one of these. Tried bass guitars before double bass, and now I hate them. Every bass guitar has been uncomfortable to me, just feels lifeless and dull. The ukulele bass I played actually felt better to me than a bass guitar, weirdly enough much closer to a double bass.

Double bassists could say the same to bass guitarists.

If it feels like a guitar, looks like a guitar and plays like a guitar, why not just buy a guitar? The bass guitar was just as gimmicky as any ukulele bass is, so before you say something that might offend someone in the future, why don't you think about what it is you're saying?

Honestly though, I have nothing against bass guitars (in fact I still have two). If you guys want to play them, that's no problem with me. All I ask is that you respect those that want to play ukulele basses. They're no different to you bass 'guitarists'.

No hard feelings,
Joe

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1375361871' post='2160261']

So why not buy an actual bass? The U-Bass doesn't sound like a bass, or a uke. It's a 'no mans land' type instrument. Just like the Banjalele and the guitalele. Gimmicky nonsense IMO.
[/quote]

I've now had experience of one acoustic gig with the Kala. I thought I was going to need some kind of eq pedal or preamp, but in the end I just turned down the bass a bit on the amp and it was fine. It drew interest from a couple of people, one a bass player, surprised that something so small could put out such a big sound, but most didn't seem to notice. I switched back to conventional bass guitar for the second half, as there were some heavier tunes that I didn't think would work so well with the Kala strings, but in the first half I felt very comfortable with it.

I don't feel particularly offended if anyone thinks it's a gimic. I also have an Epi JC semi hollow, which doesn't really have any rational justification either. Most of my bass choices have been from curiosity. Some stick, some don't. I think the Kala will stick.