Why become a member? ×

* DELETE PLEASE, CHANGED MIND! *
£80

I recently picked up Oliv D and G strings from Laurence (Blackadder) and am really enjoying their fabulously tactile feel and the G in particular sings beautifully. I have paired them with Spiro Mittel E/A and this does work pretty well, although there is a distinct tonal change between them. I have read up plenty on Oliv E and A strings about how they are dull and thuddy but would nonetheless like to give them a go. So if anyone has a good condition spare Oliv E and A (without unwinding issues or breaks) please drop me a PM.

Edited by Clarky

I sold an A and E Olives a few months ago, sorry Clarky. I did think they were good strings but I thought them a bit stiff, both in tension and especially in price! Also quite thumpy on my ply, which is what some look for but I thought you were a Spiro man? Anyway good luck my friend.

Hi Rabbie, I did have Spiros on the bass (and in fact the E/A are still on it) but I was beguiled by all the talk on TalkBass about how the Oliv G is the ultimate G ... and along came a friendly neighbourhood BassChatter selling a G and a D for decent price. I very much like them altough i suspect I will be much less keen on the Oliv E (especially) and A. Still why not give them atry, if someone is selling for a reasonable price? As it happens I don't think I will get an offer here so I will almost certainly stick with a mixed Spiro/Oliv set

OK Peter, I hear you, many thanks for your advice. To be honest, it echoes what others have said on TalkBass so I think I will indeed stick with a mixed Spiro/Oliv set. It has settled down nicely over the past week and I am really enjoying it