Why become a member? ×

Bridge moving

michaelmcg

Hi, I wonder if anyone has come across this before, my bridge is shifting itself over towards the right f hole, it's a new bass, I don't know if this happens with new instruments, shifting top, or if it could be the heat, i really am at a loss and abit concerned. If anyone has any insight or opinion or advice,anything.
I don't live anywhere near a luthier or shop, I have included a couple of photos, look forward to hearing from anyone. Cheers! Michael

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1374705483' post='2152336']
I'm new to db but I wonder if the tail gut (?) Is offset and the vibrations are making it move across? I know mine needs putting straight since the last time I had the bridge off but I can't be bothered to mess right now as its sounding and playing well.
[/quote]

Thats usually the cause. At the end of the day the nut is fixed at one end and the tail piece is at the other. If the tailpiece fixed end isn't correctly aligned then it will pull the bridge. Could be down to a poorly tied tail wire making the tailpiece skew or it could be that the tailpiece wires need separating and aligning on the saddle better. Those would be my first port of call. Put the bass on a blanket on the kitchen table and have a look down the length of the bass from the machine head end and you should see whats what.

...just also check by tapping the bouts where the neck joins the body for any hollowness. I once had to repair a bass where the shoulder on the left side had come unglued from the neck block and the neck and block and whole body had distorted in shape. It looked exactly like the bridge was drifting but in fact it was the neck which had become twisted and was no longer aligned to the vertical axis of the bass.

Some of the Chinese basses in particular are prone to 'popping' at the seams due to changes in UK climate and can distort quite significantly ! If you put the bass on one side it may lay completely flat but then when you flip it over and lay it on its other side you may only have 3 points of contact rather than 4 ...a sure sign of a twisted bass !

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][font=courier new, courier, monospace][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hi, thanks Mr Bassman, stingrayPete and ubassman!! When I bought the bass I had to travel quite a distance by train, when I got home the strings were in this position,[/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][font=courier new, courier, monospace][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I thought the bridge had been banged in transit, I moved the strings and bridge, also the tailwire, the saddle seemed to be off centre. After reading your post Pete, I checked the wire and it has moved back to the original position(off to the right) I have been scrutinising the bass and it would appear that the saddle is quite a bit off centre to the right. If this is the case, will this always happen, can saddles be moved? looks pretty well integrated. I will take a photo in better light, see what you think. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Michael[/font][/font][/font]

You shouldn't really need to shift the saddle.

Its more likely a poor tailpiece wire or that the end pin has been poorly fitted in the end block. A professional reaming tool can cost between £200 - £300 and sometimes replacement end pins are done by 'gifted' amateurs with a Black and Decker and plugs, wedges, packers,cork and allsorts to compensate for a poor fit! Extend the end pin and see if it looks perpendicular to the bass or angles off to the same side that the bridge has displaced. If its square then I would focus on getting your tail wire looked at. Good luck with it !