Why become a member? ×

new to upright

Peterscott8

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1374682626' post='2151822']
I'm still fighting feedback issues, sometimes I winner if I should have saved a couple of hundred quid and gone full laminate?
[/quote]

I can't imagine that a hybrid would be a problem just cos it's a hybrid. A different pickup combined with notch filter and phase reversal?

Another Hybrid Gedo user here. I use an Audio Technica Clip-on mic for the quieter jugband gigs (because it sounds so sweet acoustically) and an inexpensive "Hurley Virtuoso" pickup for loud rock 'n' roll, stood two feet infront of a 4x10 with no feedback issues whatsoever. The only anti-feedback device is a fishman pre-amp with a phase switch. I can't recommend Gedo enough.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1374670888' post='2151592']
I have always assumed its because laminated wood is less resonant than carved wood. Feedback is all about turning the body of the bass into a giant vibrating microphone and the less it vibrates the less the feedback
[/quote]

+1 on that Clarky ....the thickness of the top of a carved bass between the F holes and under the bridge is made thicker partly to resist the forces of the bridge but also to resonate more - whereas plywood is plywood and has an even thickness throughout the top. The result is that acoustically the carved is more richer due to the greater resonance and vibrations happening in the top but when its amplified its a bit like trying to put out an already raging fire with a can of petrol !

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1374668361' post='2151525']
'ang on a minute that's not what i said at all,i said if you are going to be playing loud then a laminate will be less prone to feedback !
[/quote] 'twas me who said it, not Artisan. Unless you're spending a fortune on a double bass and amplification, there's little difference when you amplify inexpensive double basses using piezo's and the like. In my experience, you'll need to use a very good mic to hear some worthwhile difference. I can concur that my hybrid is more tolerant to feedback than my fully carved jobbie. I've used someone else's full ply bass before and there was little to distinguish in the feedback stakes between the two. At the end it all boils down to how the thing is set up, the type of transducer / mic, the type of amp, the room, how far from the speakers / PA etc etc. I tend to have the biggest problem when the double bass runs through a PA with bass bins, especially if I'm not far away from the bins. There's some monster feedback to be had from bass bins :)