Why become a member? ×

Noisy Hartke

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='215178' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:05 AM']Got a Hartke 4.5xl cab which I use with a 3500 head. Very happy with sound of cab but it's recently developed a metalic rattle when played at gig volume. Any ideas?[/quote]

Best thing to do at the moment would be to isolate the two to find out where the issue is. Try the Amp into another cab and try another amp with your cab. you'll be able to tell if it's the amp or the cab then!

If it is the cab, firstly go round and make sure nothing is loose.. that means popping the front grill off and tightening the speaker screws.. but GO CAREFUL.. you don't wanna slip and put a screwdriver through the cone.. I have seen someone do that! EEK!.

Next, would be to find out if a particular speaker is making the noise. With the grill off, have someone play your bass and get your head down in front of each cone to see if you can figure out where the noise is coming from. Early hartke Alu speakers had a problem with the the cone coming away from the coil part of the speaker, but this was rectified later on. I never had a problem with my Hartke 4.5XLs.

Don't rule out the tweeter in the middle as well. You may want to pop the little fella out and disconnect it to see if the noise goes away.

I hope that helps.. there's more things you can try afterward...