Why become a member? ×

Fernandes 'Spector Nikki Sixx' Thunderbird - *SOLD*

cetera

As I've had a few new basses come in recently I've decided it's time to move one on to pay some of it off....

So, as I have two of these, I have decided to let one go.....

Back in 1987 Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue asked Stuart Spector to build him a few reverse and non-reverse Thunderbird shaped custom bass. He went on to use them on the Girls, Girls, Girls & Dr Feelgood tours into the early 90's...

Gibson sent a cease & desist order which prevented more than a couple of extra Spector 'Nikki Sixx' basses getting out into the public arena for purchase. However, Fernandes in Japan, who were making excellent basses in this period, decided to make a limited run of their own copy of the 'Spector Nikki Sixx' for the Japanese domestic market. This didn't last long as they were then in turn sent a cease & desist by Spector!

What we have here is one of those very limited Fernandes 'Nikki Sixx' Spectorbird basses.....!

This bass is black, with a 32" scale thru neck, solid gold-coloured bridge and active Fernandes P/J pickups. The gold-coloured machineheads appear to be Gotoh-alikes and the controls are simplicity itself..... there's just one.... and it's a volume control for both pickups together! The instrument input is front mounted (like a Strat) and the neck has the legendary Spector 'crown' inlays.

The bass plays nicely and has a clear, punchy tone particularly suited to 'rock' music. It balances very well on a strap and is a real eyecatcher!!!

Condition is generally very good but, being a 15 year old bass, there are a few scratches and a few dings - particularly on the body edge. The finish on the bridge and machineheads has also suffered from the usual oxidisation seen in an instrument of this age.

*SOLD*

Edited by cetera

Cheers chap.... yep, it's a goodie... and a rare 'un!!

I'm temporarily withdrawing this.... I've got a potential buyer for this who I'll be meeting end of next week (and I'm offline from this weekend until next Friday). If he doesn't come through this will be back up for sale in a fortnight's time....

• 2 weeks later...