Why become a member? ×

Help me decide

lushuk

Hi folks im after some help & would like to hear your opinions.
I have been playing bass for around a year, and in a rock cover band since feb this year so yes I am a beginer but a very keen one, I have a trace gp12 350w combo and a crate bt50 for practise @ home.
Now my dilema, ive ended up with 3 basses of which I only want to use 2, one for practise at home and one for best ie band practise gigs etc, plus the money I would get from selling 1 would be great as I have my eye on some new gear.................... so one has to go, but which one?
ps Its not about the money

1.Fender standard prec, usa, 1998, black, maple fret, white pick, worth £700 on a trade in
Pros:Looks great, it was my dream bass, great tone, I love playing it
Cons:chunky neck makes it seem harder to play than others.

2.Fender prec lyte, 1986, metalic green/black, worth £250 on a trade in
Pros:Nice thin neck, nice tones, light when practising standing up, its a fender, should hold its value
Cons:Not as nice tones as the usa, thin neck compared to my othe 2 so a different feel, strings feel closer together than other 2

3.Schecter diamond series, custom 4, in matt black, worth £200 on a trade in
Pros:It was my first and only bass for a year, emg active pups, neck feels same as usa, nice to play
Cons:Its not a Fender, wont hold its value I dont think, not the prettiest

Ok there you have the runners and riders I could trade the usa for bn geddy lee which I like the feel of the neck, close to the lyte, or trade all 3 for a blue burst rick!
or as I started this thread just sell one but which one?
Thanks for reading and look forward to reading your thoughts.
Eddy

If it was me I'd sell the Lyte and Schecter and save some money for the Ric. Sorry if this isn't exactly what you are proposing

I think you will regret it if you sell the US Precision. They have such a good sound that suits just about any type of music and if you are used to that sound anything else will sound a bit lacking.

I owned a Ric 4003 and sold it for a Precision. I bought it because I really liked that sound of a Ric played with a pick through an overdriven valve amp. When I actually used it in a band I just couldn't get a sound I liked and it sounded rather nondescript. It didn't seem to have the same low down grunt and authority as a Precision and seemed to drift in and out of the mix. This could be down to the way I play and you may not have the same experience, but I think you should try the Ric with a band before you sell all your other basses and buy one.

Also the Black/white/maple combination on a Precision looks awesome. If you've owned a P and like it and then sell it you will always be GASing for another one. I know I am. I sold mne because I wasn't using it and have regetted it ever since.

As for the P Lyte, I also owned one and was somewhat underwhelmed by it. I didn't regret letting it go and I'm sure you won't either.

Edited by PaulMartin

Lush I'm 100% with Paul here..... if you sell that P you will regret it....... BTW "chunky neck?" :) they're wondeful!

The other two are OK but IMHO would be better replaced by one P Highway One.... so you have a bestest and not quite so bestest but they both play similar and feel similar the Highway you can use and abuse and use etc.......

If you didnt go for that option-- Then I'm 100% behind Paul- keep the P and put the money from the other 2 to the Rick that your obviously GASing for.

But would that be wise for a novice as the 2 necks are so different?
Which neck is best for a novice a thick p-bass or something like a thin Geddy Lee?, strings closer together or futher apart?
Cheers enjoy the Rick pic I think looks wise its stunning better in real life!

Edited by lushuk