Why become a member? ×

Fender vi bass

gilli1812

Does anyone out there own and gig a Fender vi as a regular bass? I have just tried the new reissue in Dawsons music in Liverpool through a small Yamaha bass amp, my concerns about bottom end didn't worry me as it felt like it had that covered, but you can't beat real world reviews from people playing with a drummer? Dawson don't let you try and buy which is a shame ha ha. Any feedback from anybody using one would be great.

[quote name='gilli1812' timestamp='1373204771' post='2134647']
It's the pawnshop mim model i tried. Without being a snob your can't beat Fender on the headstock, saying that my china made squier strat is a better player than my old made in japan Fender strat reissue so there you go.
[/quote]
I know what you mean. I have a PS Bass VI and that's why i asked what version you played. The PS is not really a reissue as it differs a lot from the original Bass VI from the humbucking bridge pickup and the Strat style switch (as opposed to the 4 switches on the original) plus the strings are lighter gauge.
The Squier may be truer to the original Bass Vi but we're going to have to wait a month or so to find out. In the meantime i wouldn't part with my Pawn Shop version.

Edited by BetaFunk

Haven't gigged one myself but recently did sound for a cracking band called Exit International - just a drummer and two bassists. The guy doing the more lead/melody type parts played a Bass VI for a chunk of the set and it sounded fantastic, and sat in the mix wonderfully. No worries about the bottom end either, seemed to have it on tap.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1373227645' post='2135107']
Haven't gigged one myself but recently did sound for a cracking band called Exit International - just a drummer and two bassists. The guy doing the more lead/melody type parts played a Bass VI for a chunk of the set and it sounded fantastic, and sat in the mix wonderfully. No worries about the bottom end either, seemed to have it on tap.
[/quote]
I've seen a video of Exit International and the bassists were playing Jazz and Precision basses so the idea of them playing a Bass VI makes sense. I'd be interested to hear them with that line-up.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1373232136' post='2135196']

I've seen a video of Exit International and the bassists were playing Jazz and Precision basses so the idea of them playing a Bass VI makes sense. I'd be interested to hear them with that line-up.
[/quote]

Worth catching live if you get the chance, its a massive sound. Really nice guys too, pleasure to work with.

[quote name='gilli1812' timestamp='1373313575' post='2136098']
Here's steve kilbey of The Church with his Fender vi
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko33cDpKlko"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko33cDpKlko[/url]
[/quote]

Well, I was just starting to watch this. 1 min later, I had enough. Best u2 impersonators I have ever heard. Trouble is, I hate u2

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1373313963' post='2136103']
Well, I was just starting to watch this. 1 min later, I had enough. Best u2 impersonators I have ever heard. Trouble is, I hate u2
[/quote]
I tend to agree. Very bland (like U2) but that's a lovely Bass VI.