Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz switch up

DogHammer

After having some recent back problems with the weight of my Warwick, I have switched to exclusively using my Jazz.

I have always shyed away from using it for a gig, or at band practice, as it has always struggled to cut through. But since I have thrown some SJB-3 pickups in it has made a hell of a difference, but still could cut through a bit more.
I find myself turning up the MarkBass up and down all the time.

So should I be looking at a pre-amp? What are everyone's recommendations?

I have never ventured into pre-amp territory before as I have always played an Active bass and ever really needed to look into it.

I take it you've pushed the mids a bit?

I use my outboard MXR-80+ (3 band EQ) with my BBG5 as it doesn't have mids in the on-board pre. The outboard makes all the difference.

However!

I have a John East U-Retro on my BB415 and it covers EVERYTHING!

I'd say the John East J-Retro DeLuxe (the one with 4 pots) would be your ideal - covers Treble, bass and pannable mids & also is active/passive switchable with passive treble roll-off should you want to keep a passive tone from time to time.

G.

I have an S1 jazz and nearly always have the switch deployed if I want it to cut through. Not sure how much work it would take to rewire and fit an S1 switch to a normal jazz (assuming Fender or someone else sells the switches separately) though.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1372847340' post='2130550']
I have an S1 jazz and nearly always have the switch deployed if I want it to cut through. Not sure how much work it would take to rewire and fit an S1 switch to a normal jazz (assuming Fender or someone else sells the switches separately) though.
[/quote]

The S1 switch is just a series / parallel switch isn't it?

All you need is a push-pull pot (maybe £5-£7) and a soldering iron. It's a dead easy mod.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1372854627' post='2130704']
The S1 switch is just a series / parallel switch isn't it?

All you need is a push-pull pot (maybe £5-£7) and a soldering iron. It's a dead easy mod.
[/quote]

Did it to my VMJ a month or so ago in about an hour (I know how to solder though).