Why become a member? ×

NOW GONE: E Series Squier Jazz bass MIJ 1986-7
£225

Paul S

I recently bought an E Series Squier Jazz bass, made in Japan in 1984-7. 62 re-issue model with the earth band to the bridge on the surface. Serial no. E708543. Black, white scratchplate, maple neck with rosewood board, very little fretwear that has cleaned up to be in pretty good nick. It was an unloved thing when I picked it up - filthy dirty and knackered electrics. I stuck a Ki0gon wiring loom and it now sports larger sized CTS pots - John kindly drilled out the original bell plate to accommodate them.

It plays magnificently (the neck is awesome) and sounds *exactly* like a jazz bass should. Does the middy burp thing just about as well as I have heard. But. It weighs around 10lbs or so - too heavy for me. I think it is made of MDF or equivalent - some of this age were - so maybe that explains the weight.

I would be interested in trading this for a fretless bass, cash either way if necessary. Must be:
a/ lightweight - 9lbs or under
b/ slim neck 40mm at the nut or less.

Beyond that I have some preferences but let's see what pops up, if anything!

It is currently sporting a black scratchplate and black plate with black J retro preamp. So fairly black, really. Monster tones! I will put it back to stock unless someone wants it as is, in which case add £100 to the trade value.

Pictures to follow.

Edited by Paul S

Some pics. I have removed the J retro and put it back to stock with the white scratch plate and chrome bell plate. However, in pushing on the tone knob I seem to have busted the pot :( so let's change that trade value to £200

tried to highlight the dinks and damage, such as they are. There are some dinks around the bottom end near the strap button and a scratch near the screw for the jack plug end of the bell plate. These were there when I got it. There are some small chips around the edge of the neck pocket that I managed to do when I put a fretless neck on it - apart from that it isn't in bad nick for nearly 30 years old.

Included are the black bits in the last pic.

[attachment=137597:jazz 001.JPG][attachment=137598:jazz 019.JPG][attachment=137599:jazz 003.JPG][attachment=137600:jazz 010.JPG][attachment=137601:jazz 009.JPG][attachment=137602:jazz 011.JPG][attachment=137603:jazz 015.JPG][attachment=137604:jazz 018.JPG][attachment=137605:jazz 012.JPG][attachment=137606:jazz 007.JPG][attachment=137607:jazz 005.JPG][attachment=137608:jazz 011.JPG][attachment=137609:jazz 020.JPG]

Edited by Paul S