Why become a member? ×

Best Low Power Tube Amp

dc2009

Hi guys,

I'm considering moving on my Hartke HyDrive 5410c. It's a cracking amp, there is literally nothing I would change about the sound I get from it, the only problem is the size. I'm moving out of my current place soon, which whilst being a terraced house, there are no neighbours above or below to get annoyed; I'm likely to be moving into a small flat where this will become an issue. Even as it is my current amp doesn't get pushed above 3 even on a loud day, so basically I would like a similar sound, ideally tube, in a much smaller amp. This is where I would like all of your advice!

My current band aren't really at a gigging stage and I tend to prefer a Sansamp in such situations anyway. Price for the new amp isn't too much of an object as I'm hoping my amp should fetch a good price; retail is £850 and my one has never left my room, great condition.

So, gimme all your lovely suggestions, bearing in mind the priority is the best sound for small size!
Cheers,
Dan

I'd suggest something like a Sansamp BDDI or VT Bass DI for amp tone into a small mixer to blend your bass with an Ipod signal or similar and then use a decent set of headphones, sounds like you already have a Sansamp so a fairly small expenditure for a good practice system whilst retaining your Hartke for live use.

I basically use that set-up for home practice as any amplfiication will wake the kids and then I get nothing done!

That said, if you're set on a small valve amp, the Youtube videos I've seen of the Ashdown Little Bastard do sound good - Walman (I think?) on here did a good video review of one that's worth a watch.