Why become a member? ×

Where to find a 500k/500k concentric (split shaft) pot for Aria SB?

Fionn

I'm looking to replace a tone/ volume pot on my old Aria SB-900. It's a 500k / 500k stacked (concentric) pot with a split shaft.

I've looked on every tech supply website that I can think of. I can find a 500k/500k pot, but [b][i]not[/i][/b] with the split knurled shaft that I need. I've also emailed Aria twice (with no reply).

Does anyone know where I can find one?

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1371462929' post='2114056']
I'm looking to replace a tone/ volume pot on my old Aria SB-900. It's a 500k / 500k stacked (concentric) pot with a split shaft.

I've looked on every tech supply website that I can think of. I can find a 500k/500k pot, but [b][i]not[/i][/b] with the split knurled shaft that I need. I've also emailed Aria twice (with no reply).

Does anyone know where I can find one?
[/quote]

Have you found one that's close to 500kΩ ?

If so, you could always cheat and bump up the value with a resistor... :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1371487144' post='2114463']
is the split shaft that important? If it is, what's you stop you sawing a split into it yourself?
[/quote]

Aye, the split shaft is necessary to accomodate the type of knob which is specific to the old SB's. The split shaft pots have a larger diameter of shaft, and are knurled to provide a key within the knob. The knob is held on by a small measure of tension (not a grub screw), hence the necessity for the shaft to be split.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1371492734' post='2114579']
Aye, the split shaft is necessary to accomodate the type of knob which is specific to the old SB's. The split shaft pots have a larger diameter of shaft, and are knurled to provide a key within the knob. The knob is held on by a small measure of tension (not a grub screw), hence the necessity for the shaft to be split.
[/quote]

Ah, ok!

So can't you get a solid knurled one and just cut a little bit out of the middle with a very fine saw? Or get a slightly smaller solid one, and put some tape around it to provide some extra girth, hopefully giving it the tension it needs? I would doubt it would go very far if you did it that way.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1371511478' post='2114978']
I have ;)
[url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/electronics/500k-pots-c-277_1_81_84.html"]http://www.allparts....77_1_81_84.html[/url]

Scroll down to the bottom of the page :)
[/quote]

Thanks for looking icastle, although the pot at the bottom of the page doesn't have the right shaft.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1371597674' post='2116123']
Thanks for looking icastle, although the pot at the bottom of the page doesn't have the right shaft.
[/quote]

Doh, I missed the 'concentric' requirement and looked for plain dual, sorry 'bout that... :blush:

I'll have a rethink... :)

Can you post a pic of the pot you're looking for?

From your original description, the closest I've found so far is this one but it's the wrong value (50k):
[url="http://www.wilderdavoli.it/app/prodotto.jsp?tipo=2&IdC=321&IdS=0&prod=p&id_prodotto=1043&id_categoria=71&prod=p&css="]http://www.wilderdavoli.it/app/prodotto.jsp?tipo=2&IdC=321&IdS=0&prod=p&id_prodotto=1043&id_categoria=71&prod=p&css=[/url]