Why become a member? ×

Ashdown abm 500+610

Patchbass

Hi, first post here! I did a search but couldn't find anything directly on the topic but if i have missed something please pint me in the right direction and delete this thread if necessary. I want opinions on that head and cab combo and if you are able to pictures as i've got to see sizes etc and i like seeing people's amps ;) I'm going to see if i can try one out soon but i would like opinions during my wait and would love to hear how you use it! Thanks! Edit: sorry for my many asks but i wouldn't mind a comparison to the abm 410- volume and sound wise thanks!

Edited by Patchbass

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1371476238' post='2114274']
It might help if you said what bass you're using (Jazz?), what amp you're currently using, what sort of music you're playing and what sort of tone you're after :-)
[/quote] Yeah im using a mim jazz and a squier vm jaguar with flats with an ashdown eb180 112 (not loud enough) and im after a warm old school and vintage sort of tone and i play a real mix from kind of indie/rock and traditional rhythm and blues

I think the ABM will suit you just fine. However, if you like the tone of the EB180, don't ignore the MAG600. The MAG series are tonally much closer to the EB range, and the new MAG Evo3's have compressor and overdrive (although the latter is not a valve one like the ABM).

I had a MAG600 for a couple of years before I got my ABM, and in some ways I miss it. The EQ frequencies were particularly well chosen in my opinion.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1371542828' post='2115131']
I think the ABM will suit you just fine. However, if you like the tone of the EB180, don't ignore the MAG600. The MAG series are tonally much closer to the EB range, and the new MAG Evo3's have compressor and overdrive (although the latter is not a valve one like the ABM).

I had a MAG600 for a couple of years before I got my ABM, and in some ways I miss it. The EQ frequencies were particularly well chosen in my opinion.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote] Thanks and I like the eb but i'm not a massive fan of it and I would prefer and eq change hehe

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1371565682' post='2115589']
Thanks and I like the eb but i'm not a massive fan of it and I would prefer and eq change hehe
[/quote]

In which case I think you will enjoy the tonal variety served up by the ABM. If possible, go for an Evo3 which has the built in compressor (which some hate, I know) and with the FS4 footswitch you have everything at your finger, er toe, -tips.

Unfortunately I have no experience of the 610 you mention, so can't really help there.

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1371566501' post='2115599']
In which case I think you will enjoy the tonal variety served up by the ABM. If possible, go for an Evo3 which has the built in compressor (which some hate, I know) and with the FS4 footswitch you have everything at your finger, er toe, -tips.

Unfortunately I have no experience of the 610 you mention, so can't really help there.

Geoff
[/quote] thanks and it's ok you've been a big help already!