Why become a member? ×

Ruach Utility Bass

4 Strings

Thanks! I ordered it beginning of June and the sketches etc started but Heath made a proper start around August I think and I picked it up at the beginning of November. If it was one of his designs he would have finished it in 3-4 weeks, but my constant inference delayed things!

It was being designed as it was being made and so decisions made along the way. A flow of emails regarding standy-uppy ideas etc tried his patience, I'm sure, but also there was a delivery wait for imported gear (Hipshot) to arrive and to get the pickups made into the wooden cases.

Yep, I bought a little led torch from the pound shop, charge them up and they lose most of the glow in a few minute but smoulder away for quite a while. From daylight it holds a glow for quite a while, but gigs are usually evenings and out the case it needs a charge.

In fact, now I've been thinking about it, I've discovered I've not seen the dots due to bright lights in my eyes (disability glare) rather than it being too dark!

Oh man, that is one stunning bass!

I'm delighted for you. You had a specific Utility brief with an overlay of pure custom, and you stuck to it throughout! Hats off to you 4 Strings!

The build, colour, wood figuring, and hardware are awesome, really awesome.

Congrats man! I've loved every post of this thread. Thank you for sharing.

RK

[quote name='steverickwood' timestamp='1387629361' post='2313954']
[attachment=150765:ruach.jpg]

He brought another one along when I got the brown one, but I had to make a choice. I think another guy on here purchased it - it was very cool and red!! I'm so descriptive.
[/quote]

Very nice! Seemed like a choice you couldn't get wrong either way!

• 1 month later...

My baby has gone back to the womb.

Heath popped by and now has the Utility Bass in his workshop for the tuner to be fitted and it's final finish. You may remember it got a bit rushed in the end as I wanted it for certain gigs and we were waiting and waiting for bits to arrive from the US.

He'll mainly be adding the tuner, changing the pup switch to a 'Superswitch' which has more terminal combination options to allow the pups to be wired and selected as we wanted in the beginning. The very helpful Aaron Armstrong kindly supplied this and the wiring diagram. He'll also dress a couple of frets and have a look at the quiet 'D'. Lastly, I have run a battery down by not pulling out the jack so, in the name of utility, Heath is going to look at squeezing a battery switch in that cavity. He offered to look at sanding the sides of the pups a little, so they can tilt in their cavities, but they're fine at that now.

Bye bye, Baby, Baby, bye bye. <sniff> Didn't realise that I would miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1387582954' post='2313686']
Thanks again!

Well, here is the Utility Bass being utilised:

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/IMG_1102_zpsb11ad1b6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/4Strings1/IMG_1102_zpsb11ad1b6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

This photo is amazing. The bass looks great.

The look on your (bass) face suggests that there is someone just off stage loudly questioning the utility of the utility bass! (Or a group of yoofs have just kicked a football into your garden!)

Be gone, utility doubting heathen!!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1391944369' post='2362784']
This photo is amazing. The bass looks great.

The look on your (bass) face suggests that there is someone just off stage loudly questioning the utility of the utility bass! (Or a group of yoofs have just kicked a football into your garden!)

Be gone, utility doubting heathen!!
[/quote]

Haha, probably not far wrong, skej21! (Although it may also have been the result of thinking, "Rats, I thought there were only two repeats of that verse, hope no-one noticed!")

Utility has been returned, all work done and gleaming in a re-wax.

Heath has replaced the pup switch with the 'Superswitch' and wired it to a very complicated diagram supplied by Aaron Armstrong to satisfy my switching whims (which it does) and puts things in series where they should be, dressed all the fret ends, added a battery switch (and an led - in green of course!) and, ta-ta-ta-taaaaah - the tuner!

Tuner works great! I'm now thinking it's becoming a Cortina with every conceivable extra bolted on! The tuner has been mounted between the pups on a piece of maple from the neck wood (same as the pup covers). Switchable by a pull-up volume knob.

I know, no pics, no tuner so I will take pics and show you, it's the icing on the cake.

(tbh though, I have lasted this long by very rarely ever using a tuner, always by ear. I'll continue in this vein as I don't want to lose that skill, but sometimes it needs a proper check (I have a recording with a flat 'D'!) and, bingo, no-one even knows I'm doing it!).

Pics will follow

• 7 months later...

[quote name='wwcringe' timestamp='1410620567' post='2551342']
This is a wicked looking bass!!

Please can we see the tuner? :D
[/quote]

Thanks, wwcringe! Yes, although the bass is away at the moment having that MM pup looked at. As soon as it's back I'll do some more pics of details etc. Hopefully will have something to say about the sound too.