Why become a member? ×

Kubicki Ex Factor

noelk27

Minor. All Kubickis no matter what era, were made by Phil. Bodies were sourced by Fender and assembled at both the Fender factory and Phil's shop a few miles away. Fender FCS Kubicki basses have a 9V active circuit and four position switch knob. All the electronics and pickups were designed by Phil and the pickups were made at the same place for all years.

Major difference is in resale price. FCS versions are lower, so a steal if you can get them.

When Kubicki went 'Fender', things didn't really change as much as was once thought. Before Phil made a deal with Fender, you could only buy instruments direct from him, which was great if you knew what you wanted but not so good if you just wanted to try one. The Fender deal was really a marketing exercise, as it allowed Phil to utilise Fender's massive dealer network and get his basses into stores with some financial backing from Fender. Nothing else really changed, except the electronics were modified (to a 9v circuit, and some of the preset positions on the preamp were deleted) and the back of the headstock got the Fender Custom Shop stamp.

I prefer the 18v circuit, but the 'Fender' basses are still fantastic.

Models go as follows:

1) Original, early run basses

2) Crossover basses - starting in 1989, made with the 18v preamp but getting the FCS stamp, I believe these were the first batch brought to the UK - both the Ex Factors I have owned have been crossover basses

3) Fender era basses

4) post Fender basses appearing from 1994 onwards - no longer distributed by Fender and back with the 18v preamp.