Why become a member? ×

Unashamed plug for new Bass Book...

Dad3353

Good afternoon, all...

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/hofnviolbook.jpg/"][/url]

A complete tome giving the whole history of the Violin bass by Hofner (the 500/1 and variants...) has just been published; here's the Amazon page...

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hofner-Complete-Violin-Story/dp/1574242911/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370798010&sr=8-1&keywords=violin+bass+book"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hofner-Complete-Violin-Story/dp/1574242911/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370798010&sr=8-1&keywords=violin+bass+book[/url]

...Over 300 pages, written and illustrated by a pair of the world's authorities on the subject. Worth a look..?

Edited by Dad3353

I don't see Happy Jack credited ;)

I saw a video last year of a well known bassist (mate of Janek Gwizdala IIRC) demoing effects in his apartment with a couple of Precisions. He then plugged in a Hofner violin bass and the sound was almost holy! It made me want one very badly. It sounded really woody and funky.

Good evening; xilddx...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370883023' post='2106856']
I don't see Happy Jack credited ;)...[/quote]

Indeed; an oversight, perhaps..? :huh:
...although even Jack will find interesting facts, anecdotes and pics in this volume. There's not much more complete out there, and certainly little as readable.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370883023' post='2106856']...I saw a video last year of a well known bassist (mate of Janek Gwizdala IIRC) demoing effects in his apartment with a couple of Precisions. He then plugged in a Hofner violin bass and the sound was almost holy! It made me want one very badly. It sounded really woody and funky.[/quote]

Not reputed for versatility, and (imho..) unjustly 'slandered' for the Sir Paul connection, these basses have a solid place in many styles. Personally I find the form too 'petite' for my bulk, and prefer the lines of the Verithin, but the sounds are very similar (I won't say 'identical' for fear of reprisal...). Depending on string choice, of course (as with most instruments...), the tone is very usable. The 'Club' bass is equally undersold, I feel, especially for those with weak backs..! As one's only bass, it's a tad 'typical', I'll admit, but as a complementary instrument, lots of fun.

Edited by Dad3353