Why become a member? ×

NBD. Twice. Alien is here!

Telebass

First impressions:
The Alien is much louder, acoustically, than the Kingman I have. Still not really that loud, but noticeably different.
Played using the soundhole as a thumb rest, it sounds really quite upright-like, but this doesn't translate that well into amplified sound. However, the Prefix Plus system needs some fiddling time, so I may yet improve on that.
The long thumb rest is positioned about as far from the strings as a Precision bass pickup cover would be, which for me is too far out. I'll see if Warwick can advise on removing it.
Out of the box, the setup was really nice. It has the Just-A-Nut III, so everything can be fettled really nicely.
The neck is a nice round handful without being in any way a baseball bat. fretwork is excellent.
Now, back to playing it!

Feeling slightly sacrilegious, I've strung the Alien with an old set of TI JF344s, suitably trimmed, and it sounds GREAT! And my fingertips are sighing with relief, because after years of flatwounds, the bronze rounds were tearing them to bits!
So a set of TI JF324s is on the cards, although they have a fairly bulky E, so will have to try and judge whether or not the nut will need work. Hope not.

Edited by Telebass

• 2 weeks later...

Used in anger for the first time, going through the CMD121H at an audition for a new band. Sounded great, no feedback issues at that volume, and impressed the hell out of me, and the other band members seemed to like it too.

I got the gig!