Why become a member? ×

Various bowing techniques

ubassman

Thought that there was some useful information on the [url="http://stringtechnique.com/pedagogical.htm"]String Pedagogy Notebook[/url] website for anyone interested in videos and exercises in developing different bowing techniques !!

Some of the exercises are written for violin / cello but the principles are the same and most can be adapted very easily for DB.

Very interesting, thank you Peter! After we went to Matt McDonald's masterclass I was so inspired I actually got meself a bow! :o :D

I had never actually held one in my hand, so I went online for info, and decided that French would probably be more comfortable to my wrist. (I think I was right.) I've been practicing gripping and bowing my HB upright - without a hint of rosin for the moment, to save my ears from the inevitable cacophony... :rolleyes:

If I decided to take it up seriously I would obviously have to find a teacher, but for the moment the main stumbling block for me is being sure I've tightened the ribbon to the correct tension when I'm bowing. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of advice on that detail online.

I'll have a read through the site you link to :)

The thing is if the bow is too tight it doesn't have good contact with the string ...it needs to be a little soft to wrap around and grip better.

The easiest way of describing what I mean is to hold your index finger out in front of you ( representing the string) and then place your other straight index finger (your bow) over the top (to make a cross) and then make a couple of bowing motions . Now bend the finger representing the bow and you can see that it kind of hooks the string. It is a case of feeling for the right tension.

Hope this helps Sylvia ...you realise that you are on your way to getting a lefty DB now !! :P

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1370341977' post='2099272']
Using the bow is more of a feeling thing than a guide book.... Go grab a tutor now :D You should see my tutor he will help you tremendously pm if you want his details!

F
[/quote]

+1 There is no substitute for an expert eye that adjusts the wrist, bow position, hair contact , angle or just says the right thing at the right time. Be good to get some basic concepts of bowing and then notch up some miles ! I was saying to F when we were waiting for the Matt McDonald thing to start that using the bow can be as subtle as someone being amazingly skilful and drawing with just a pencil.

Excellent, thank you both! On the basis of what you say, Peter, I actually think I'm doing OK with my ribbon. But yes, if I realise I've seriously caught the bug, I'll find a teacher :D
That elusive lefty DB is still a long way away... but my HB upright has a bridge and neck/fingerboard which are very similar to those of a real DB, so they're OK for practicing as a complete beginner for the time being. :)

Maybe what you need to do is find a bass that need the bass bar replacing - and then ask a luthier to put it on the wrong side ! ...[url="http://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plywood-Double-Bass-German-Needs-TLC-/111088750445?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item19dd67cf6d"]theres one on e-bay[/url] at the moment ( but be warned it could be a good £300 to get the bass bar redone) and theres lots that needs doing to this particular instrument ...but it gives you an idea !

Someone must have decided to remove that link...
Checking out DB in need of repair is a good idea, and I'll consider the option if I decide to go down the real DB road, but that would have to be only after I've either re-jigged the furniture in my entire flat, and jettisoned some of it, or I've moved into a bigger flat! :rolleyes: :D
Thank you again Peter!

Honestly, check out Rabbath's 'Art of the Bow' DVD. He talks about every aspect, and it all makes perfect sense. I believe he's revered for his bowing above all.

Mind you, he'd need to move into my house for me to have much hope of progress, but i'm an especially difficult case. I hope to be reincarnated as better material. :D