Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot V4 combo Help

buckley 8

I own a Trace Elliot V4 1x15 combo, the later version with many preamp valves and the magic eye. Anyway about a month ago was about to play a gig when one of the four KT88's (Ruby) went blue and blew one of the power valve fuses. During the next week I replaced all of the valves with NOS (80's?) Sovtek KT88s. I replaced both of the valve fuses. Power comes on but NO SOUND. After advice from other sites and fellow owners I replaced both of the main fuses, (located inside) and the two fuses (6 in all !) under the mains input. I also replaced all of the ECC83's with known working ones (each checked in a Super Champ). STILL NO SOUND. The speaker is connected, it is an Eminence Legend, lightly used. I have since taken the combo to a tech who is taking a long time to fix it, meanwhile I am sitting here thinking A) Does this bloke know what he is doing B)Maybe I could have diagnosed it myself. So my questions are, would a faulty EM 84 valve cause no sound? (surely not as it's an indicator) , what are the chance of a less than year old Emi Legend blowing and causing no sound ? Has anyone else experienced complete loss of sound in this model or similar ? I should mention, I biased the new power tubes, The EM 84 is lighting up white (should be green). All of the valves, pre and power have glowing filaments. The power valve fuses are fine, there are no signs of excessive heat problems, the fan is working, and the amp turns on as normal (power is going through). Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Cheers.

Did you just bung in new valves, or check the amp properly and bias it to suit? Blowing power valves often take some resistors with them which will make it cease to function. Generally its easy to spot when they've done this due to the resistors burning up.

i think its broken beyond all repair. I will send you my address and you can "recycle" it straight to me :)

Seriously though, i hope you get it fixed. I have a V4 and had to re valve it recently as it blew a tube and fuse. I would send it to a decent amp tech to have a look over. Hopefully just a dead resistor or something small.

Yeah, I followed the biasing instructions, this model has an adjust on the back panel, hoping your'e right and it's something small. I wasn't about to go looking around inside, my knowledge goes about as far as changing fuses. Thanks for the replies :)

[quote name='buckley 8' timestamp='1370992930' post='2108531']
Amp is back and fixed, new tube socket. Very happy with tech, very quick and inexpensive, would recommend to anyone in the Bournemouth Poole area, thanks again for the suggestions :)
[/quote]

Just for info, for the rest of us, who is this wonderful person ?

Not sure about rules and regulations but here is his Facebook page ( also has a website ) that's my V4 combo in the pics. He works from home and is an honest fella, Cheers.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/JbAmpRepairs"]https://www.facebook.com/JbAmpRepairs[/url]