Why become a member? ×

My New Stingray Classic...

AndyTravis

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1373221826' post='2134983']
I am finding my Classic a bit gutless, its certainly no match for a proper pre eb. Afaik the 2 band preamp has never changed since the last pre eb version with electrolytic caps but I am hoping a john east preamp will sort it out unless the pickup is naff?
[/quote]

I'm really happy with mine, and I've been d.i.'ng for recording on some dance tracks recently, the artist is a bassist of a fair experience and not inconsiderable talent, and he uses a 2eq stingray of his own normally.

He commented that mine had whatever he felt his was lacking.

I don't know, I've owned 100's of basses and played 1000's in my 10 years in music shops, and to me it captures 'that' sound perfectly - but having played a handful of pre-eb stingrays, I know they are special basses.

Wish I'd not turned down a poorly re-finned early 80's one a few years ago, as I'm sure I'd really appreciate it now.

To me, it's the sound I miss, but a much better feel and the mutes are so handy!

I've only got the two modern stingrays I've owned and the bongo I sorely miss as my reference.

Would love to sit down with an old stingray and compare the two.

Thinking on, I'd love a bongo HH built into a sterling body...the sessions I used a bongo on left a ridge in my right thigh, weird angular horn. But what a sound!

Well mine has the East preamp now, only done one gig with it since with no practice before at all so I'm still experimenting with it, so far so good although I reckon its probably got more of the one trick pony stingray sound some people think of compared to my 3 eq and pickup selectable Ray 5s. Its a beautiful bass though so I'm hoping I can get it sorted, pickup height might be too high now and I think I need to be more subtle with the east preamp compared to the stock one, practice on thursday to fettle a bit. :)