Why become a member? ×

GONE MTD 635-21 #153
£2350

nobodysprefect

Er, I wasn't going to sell this, but I got a bad case of GAS.

Ok, GAS is released, but the apartment is just too small.

[b]Now asking pounds, incl. shipping.[/b]

This is an older MTD - the main difference is the neck. It's easily the best neck I've ever had in a bass. Slim and comfortable. You can play for hours on this at breakneck speed.

What makes this a bit of a rarity is the woods. Older MTDs often have wenge in the neck, and the sound of wenge doesn't work for me at all. This has all maple neck, ash body, amboyna burl top. That classic ash-maple combo again. Many people who haven't heard this bass thell me that MTDs are sizzly, shrill, cold or whatever. Nope. This bass fits right in a funk, blues, soul, rnb, jazz, Twisted Sister, whatever. Does NOT stick out in a mix in a bad way, this stands out in a good way :) . You can do fatness and/or punch. 21 frets for fat slap tone on E & B strings. Uncompressed attack. I can't stand many boutique makes now, they are far too compressed.

Also, it's a light at 3,9kgs/[s]6.6 [/s]8.5 pounds google doesn't understand comma as a separator lol and it's an extremely well-balanced bass.

To summarize the good: I believe it's got the best ergonomics you can have in a six-string and a more classic tone than any other MTD I've heard. Can do a credible Jaco tone or a Motown tone - can also do a Marcus-ish slap tone.

Ok, the bad & the ugly: the bass has play wear. The frets are not AS NEW - but do not require a polish even at my level of perfectionism. There are small dings on the edges of the body and 1 small ding on the back. The top has no dings at all. The bass originally came with an experimental (I think) high voltage pre-amp that had an external PSU. The socket for the PSU was fairly big, and the bass was modded to then current MTD spec by Mr. Tobias, and the socket hole was plugged up. The hole is in the edge of the bass, faving the floor in playing position. (And the craftsmanship of the repair/modding is, of course, of the highest order)

Will take more pics today or tomorrow.

Edited by nobody's prefect

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Err, this is a good bass. I'm low on cash. My dream is to have 4 or 5 or 6 MTDs and never long on any bass site again. This is f***ing it as far as useable in Real World boutique basses go.

Reality is I can barely hang on to the 2 MTDs I bought NEW and as such can not sell, as the loss would be just way too much.

Edited by nobody's prefect