Why become a member? ×

24 fret neck on a 'P' body.

Turk

I have a Warwick 'Streamer STD'. I like the neck, but it has chronic neck-dive. A rough undersided leather strap helps, but far from cures the issue. Tried moving the bottom strap button too, but not much improvement there either.

Neck seems to be 63mm wide and just short of 70mm long in the pocket. (As best as I can measure without dismantling it)

Anyone know whether this will 1) Fit a std 'Precision' body and 2) Reduce the neck-dive anyway ?

The original Streamer body is rather light. I'm currently looking at an Alder body which weighs 3kg plus. My main concern is even if the neck does fit, although the body will be significantly heavier, the Streamer neck is 4 frets longer than normaly on a Precision, so although the Precision has the desired 'strap button above the 12th', it won't be with the Streamer neck fitted.

I get the feeling I've overlooked something rather obvious and it's defo not going to work as a straightforward 'bolt-on and go'.

Edited by Turk

[quote name='Turk' timestamp='1369781298' post='2092785']
I get the feeling I've overlooked something rather obvious and it's defo not going to work as a straightforward 'bolt-on and go'.
[/quote]
Yes something rather important, scale length, if the neck is four frets longer and you're placing the bridge at the standard P position the fret positions will be way of.

Scale length would be all wrong, you'd need to move the bridge so far up the precision body it'd look ridiculous. Plus it might not cure the neck dive problem because as you say the top horn / strap button would still be higher than 12th fret.

Probably be better off putting some lightweight tuners on instead of the standard Warwick ones if you can find some to fit. With a Neoprene strap that would probably cure the problem.

[url="http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?btp_product_category=res-o-lite-series"]http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?btp_product_category=res-o-lite-series[/url]

Cheers Guys, yep, scale length. It dawned on me this afternoon. I'll give the neoprene strap a go.

Top tip: Never buy a bass you've only tried out whilst seated...and never, ever even consider a straight swap for an 80's BB3000...with JD electrickery by Mr Diggins himself. :facepalm: ('Twas a long search to correct that one !)

[quote name='Turk' timestamp='1369853141' post='2093595']
Top tip: Never buy a bass you've only tried out whilst seated...and never, ever even consider a straight swap for an 80's BB3000...with JD electrickery by Mr Diggins himself. :facepalm: ('Twas a long search to correct that one !)
[/quote]

Ouch.