Why become a member? ×

respraying my scratchplate

ashgeezer

Dont know if this is in the right section or not but here goes.
Im thinking of respraying my scratchplate purely because im really strapped for cash at the present and im not a fan of most of the scratchplate colours i've seen.
What would be the best way to go about it. would i prime it first then rub down with fine paper, add the colour then laquer with a few coats then buff up the laquer with succesive grades of wet and dry, i've done it with a body and it came out fine but i've never done it with plastic before.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, i just fancy something different for a change.

A guitarist friend of mine did this on his 80's Squire Strat (and what a guitar [i]that[/i] is!)
He removed the 'plate, rubbed it down VERY lightly to "key" the surface, wahsed it down in white spirit to get any residues off, and sprayed it using an aerosol can.
He changed it from white to black, and it worked very well for a long while.

Ultimately, the tip of his plectrum began to wear it away on his longer downstrokes, and he ended up with a white patch showing through again.
If you use a plectrum, you may experience this issue.
If you play finger style, you're likely to get a dull or shiny patch over time in any area that you frequently touch the scratchplate. Maybe a coat of lacquer might prevent this from happening?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='213299' date='Jun 5 2008, 04:07 PM']A guitarist friend of mine did this on his 80's Squire Strat (and what a guitar [i]that[/i] is!)
He removed the 'plate, rubbed it down VERY lightly to "key" the surface, wahsed it down in white spirit to get any residues off, and sprayed it using an aerosol can.
He changed it from white to black, and it worked very well for a long while.

Ultimately, the tip of his plectrum began to wear it away on his longer downstrokes, and he ended up with a white patch showing through again.
If you use a plectrum, you may experience this issue.
If you play finger style, you're likely to get a dull or shiny patch over time in any area that you frequently touch the scratchplate. Maybe a coat of lacquer might prevent this from happening?[/quote]

+1

I used 1500 wet and dry, could use a bit harsher though I suppose.
Aerosol works fine, but if you have access to decent lacker I highly suggest using it. If its aerosol your using, I suggest once its dried giving it a VERY light rub down with 1500, then lacker, then LIGHT 1500, then buff/pollish.

Edited by Jobiebass

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='213330' date='Jun 6 2008, 01:38 AM']+1

I used 1500 wet and dry, could use a bit harsher though I suppose.
Aerosol works fine, but if you have access to decent lacker I highly suggest using it. If its aerosol your using, I suggest once its dried giving it a VERY light rub down with 1500, then lacker, then LIGHT 1500, then buff/pollish.[/quote]

+1 also my son used to paint his Gu** scratch plate that fancy paint the type with bumps etc they use on chairs etc , like crakle paint it lasted a couple of years