Why become a member? ×

Tension opinions needed please

AntLockyer

I've decided that I want flats on my Jazz as I have the Aria for the round wound sounds and it is super versatile given the electronics.

I've got Labella deep talking on my Precision and like the tension, to the point that when I play the Jazz with rounds I end up playing down by the bridge in order to get a similar feel.

I was thinking about putting a set of Fender 9050M on but have read they are very high tension. Are they similar to the LaBella? I'm not sure I'd like anything more rod like than those.

Any other recommendations? Cost is not an issue, blues is what I play.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1369403293' post='2088838']
I've decided that I want flats on my Jazz as I have the Aria for the round wound sounds and it is super versatile given the electronics.

I've got Labella deep talking on my Precision and like the tension, to the point that when I play the Jazz with rounds I end up playing down by the bridge in order to get a similar feel.

I was thinking about putting a set of Fender 9050M on but have read they are very high tension. Are they similar to the LaBella? I'm not sure I'd like anything more rod like than those.

Any other recommendations? Cost is not an issue, blues is what I play.
[/quote]

I'd say they'd be close. I went from the LaBella 760FL (43/104) to the Fender 9050L (45/100) on my P and they are pretty close in feel imo. Nowt wrong with the LaBella's.. just wanted a change.

The Fender 9050CL's have less tension than the M set, but still enough to get a good feel. They are steel, not chrome, so they have a little more growl than the LaBellas, or D'Addario chromes or similar, for that matter. They last "forever." I've had my set on for over two years and they just keep getting better. They are consistent string-to-string and up the neck, and are relatively inexpensive.

• 2 weeks later...