Why become a member? ×

Grey Stache - Germanium diodes with active basses?

bakerster135

Just bought Danweb22's love Grey Stache, and looking forward to receiving it! :-)

One concern I have though is that I use very hot main basses (18v circuit, active pickups), and I'm slightly concerned over whether the Germanium diodes will react well to this?

A problem I've had with Muffs and clones in the past is the volume drop, which I think may be a result of the input overdriving and the fuzz compressing too much.

Does anyone use a germanium Stache with an active bass? How do you find it?

Any comments will be much appreciated!

Al

From the Fuzzrocious website FAQ:

"They work w/ active instruments, too...you may need to turn your volume down, just as you would do with 99% of all other effects w/ actives"

However, I imagine that this is all personal preference. I've heard that a LOT of fuzz pedals don't like active instruments for the reasons you mention above. But if you don't try, you don't know :)

Si

Thanks Si,

Yep, I guess you ultimately have to fine these things out for yourself! ;-)

Do you know what I'm to expect in terms of character from the Germaniums? I understand they're a bit less harsh than silicon, and less gainy than silicon and LED?

I'm now tempted to keep the ARC BGP for face melting, and have this as a nice mid-fuzz if that's the case?

Again, thanks for any advice!

No problem.
Funnily enough, as I posted that last reply, Ryan @ Fuzzrocious tweeted about active basses and effects, to the tune of "sell it and buy a passive" haha.
I run everything totally passive, but then there are plenty of excellent 'effects' players who play active, Justin Chancellor & Janek Gwizdala being a prime example (Wal were 9v pre's).

I've not tried the ARC, but being based on the old Tall Fonts is a Silicons (more compressed), with a diode lift option (probably more gainy). The Stache, being based on the later Muff, with the Germs will sound a bit quieter, warmer ('vintage').
I tend to run my Stache in the assymetric LEDs setting (I have LEDs, Germs, Assymetric LEDs), which is massive!
But then I run my Rat Tail with LEDs too, so I must just like them :)

Juan Alderete did a great Fuzz Wars series on his website which outlined how each Fuzz is very different, some benfit from a hard touch, others blossom nicer with a soft touch. Obviously a higher output bass will make a soft touch harder as the signal is already pumping out. As Ryan said above, perhaps turn your bass down and your amp up

Si