Why become a member? ×

Faulty Bass Electronics - Cutting out and in

CXIII

Hi All,

Looking for suggestions as to the cause of the following problem:

I have an ESP/Ltd F404 which the sound is intermittently cutting out when I slap the strings. The electronics I have installed are two EMG 40DC pups and the EMG BQS preamp system (replaced stock electronics after they blew-out). When playing it recently I noticed that the sound would cut to a low, distorted/fuzzy noise (akin to the battery dying) or cut out all together. Trying to figure out the cause I noticed that the sound cuts out when I slap the strings and then if I smack the strings again the sound will come back at full volume.

To me it sounds like a surge of some sort, possibly an earthing issue as the bridge pickup hisses when i put my finger on it. I have checked batteries and leads etc and thats not the problem. Has anyone experienced similar problems or has any recommendations? Would like to give the local guitar/repair store a heads up as to what it might be.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

I agree with the above. Volume cuts like that are usually bad solder joints, the force of the slapping may bring it on. I'd check soldering on the pick up first, then preamp and jack. I had the issue on my Precision, sorted now though due to resoldering. Good luck.