Why become a member? ×

White Horse

squire5

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of White Horse bass combos.I was watching one on Ebay recently.it was an 80 watt job which would do me for in a 2-piece folk/country duo.It certainly looks the part,but I was not sure,as I've never heard of them.

[quote name='squire5' post='211279' date='Jun 2 2008, 06:28 PM']I'm wondering if anyone has heard of White Horse bass combos.I was watching one on Ebay recently.it was an 80 watt job which would do me for in a 2-piece folk/country duo.It certainly looks the part,but I was not sure,as I've never heard of them.[/quote]

Hi

Gear for music sell them through Amazon for £88.00 + £10.00 postage but nobody has posted any reviews.
I would surmise that it is a branded product produced in China or Korea maybe and for the money is probably OK. It depends on whether you are bothered about a brand name or not, and bear in mind it may be an 80 watt model but no figures are given for speaker efficiency or distortion levels on the amp.
The Laney RB2 is a few quid cheaper but only 30 watts with a 10" speaker.
Personally for £98 with delivery I would risk it. You can always sell it on if it turns out to be a lemon ,which is unlikely.
For £160 I bought a Peavey 160 watt head and a Hartke Transporter 2 x 10" 150 watt cab, good old ebay !!!
Also depends on budget obviously but you do not need to spend a fortune to get a good sound.

If you buy one let us know what it is like.

Hi East.Yeah it looks OK,but then so do a couple of Behringer's small bass combos.I'm basically looking for something that's light to carry,but sounds reasonable.It's for the folk/country duo that I play in at times.My other rig is a Trace elliot200watt with 1 4x10 cab,which I use for the 4-piece covers band.I'd be going thru' a small desk at any rate,but reliability might also come into question.I'll keep ya posted.

[quote name='squire5' post='211841' date='Jun 3 2008, 03:10 PM']I'm basically looking for something that's light to carry,but sounds reasonable.[/quote]

Hi

if thats your criteria you can't go wrong with this....[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-Boxer-30_W0QQitemZ130227160456QQihZ003QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Trace Elliot Boxer 30[/url]

I have owned the 15 and the 30 and they are excellent small amps and as you already know Trace Elliot is pretty good throughout the range.

Yeah,my mate bought one of those to use with his acoustic bass,and I'll be honest, I wasn't impressed at all.Too boxy a sound,and no depth to speak of and certainly not loud enough.I like to have power in reserve so I like around 80-100 watts at least.The amp I'm using at the mo is a 90 watt keyboard amp with a 15"driver but it's too darn heavy,so my old bones need something a bit lighter.I think it's between the White Horse or the Behringer BXL900,or maybe the BX 1200.

• 5 months later...

To resurrect this thread, does anyone own one of these amps or have any opinions about them? On the surface of it, they sound good value for the money but a lack of specs does sound alarm bells

Guitar and bass magazine (I think) give it an award as one of the best budget amps of the year… should i read into this too much???