Why become a member? ×

Writing a "Rock Opera"

JamesBass

IMO we should always encourage, celebrate and support creative ambition, especially in the arts ...

I can still remember my Physics teacher at school telling us that 'dreamers move mountains'.

So I'd just say to the OP; Good Luck and follow your dream!

I don't know how you classify a Rock Opera, but I have been thinking of trying to write some stuff based on the books of Richard K Morgan, starting with the fantasy books - once they're finished - and then the sci-fi books. The worlds/universes he creates are amazing. The music inspiration for this would be The Vision Bleak with a sort of Static X cross for the sci-fi stuff.

Perhaps Rock Opera isn't the optimum term for this, maybe concept album with a strong narrative is perhaps better! Have come up with the idea of using one of Einsteins anecdotes about what he used to day dream about as a boy, riding on a light wave, as well as a strong narrative of time travel perhaps.

What I envisage while writing for this is actually pictures in my mind, building up a visual picture and then thinking about the music that would lay over the top of that, such as I've ALWAYS dreamed and pontificated about the Big Bang, that moment of huge force and creation, what would that sound like if in musical terms?! This is the sort of thing I've started on. I have many more ideas such as the light waves anecdote and many other day dream elements. This will however be an extensive work in progress that is going to take many years I think, just trying to find musicians I am comfortable having play on this is hard enough for the time being!