Why become a member? ×

Anyone got any opinions on "Indie" 'Riki' basses?

agroupuk

Hi folks,

I was out looking for something a little nicer than my Ibanez BTB07Ltd (weird painted BTB200), possibly a 5 string.

Anyway the local shop had a jap Fender J (which although very very nice, I just dont get on with the size/shape combo)
and a 4 string Indie 'Riki' which I think by the name you can tell the shape/style of lol

Indie themselves dont show it on the website due to 'copyright' issues *cough*

Has anyone any opinions on them?

I played it in store for about an hour and was impressed with the sounds it could make and the action (which was low) and it also felt nice to hold.

The shop will do it for me @£279 with a trade in of an old bog standard 6 string guitar (not bass) that I dont ever use and cannot play so no loss to me.

I have attached a pic - any comments welcome.

Cheers

Edd

[attachment=9258:1315_IRKBFG.jpg]

Hiya, i was after one of these and when i tried it in store they also had an Ibanez Jetking bass, which although not similar looking did have that same kinda retro feel to it, and i had also never seen one before so tried it out (ive already blithered on about whats good and bad about it in the Jet king thread so wont bore you with it here).
In all honesty i found it really difficult to identify any differences between the indie Riki and the jet king in terms of balance, sound, weight etc...and with the jet king being £200 cheaper i got that instead. Definately give it a go as quite comparable to the indie riki, and a lot less common.

Hi Edd - get yourself over to the "Rickenfakers" sticky in the Ebay forum - there's discussion on Indie, Shine, Rockinbetter copies, and a plethora of vintage Japanese Rick copies from the 70s, and a good few others too.

I have played the Indie copy & I wasn't too impressed, considering the full price - this was at Music Live a couple of years back, I thought it felt a bit cheap, sounded absolutely nothing like a Rickenbacker & was insanely expensive for what it was, at the £500+ list price.

That said, £280 is a pretty good deal, & a lot closer to a reasonable price for the bass. The other current copies are a bit more accurate but you'd be lucky to find one for that price - if you can find one at all!

As for the vintage Japanese copies - very rare, and usually stupidly expensive - but some of them were very, very close to the real thing.

I think if you like it, it's a good price, why not go for it. List price is a fair bit more than that, and if you find you don't get on with it you'll probably get your money back.

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...

GAH! DON'T DO IT!

I live about 10min drive from the factory and the local music shop has one of the Indie Rics and it looks wrongly proportioned, sounds a bit rubbish and i found it nose-dived like a bitch when I sat playing it...I'd personally save my money and get a decent vintage replica with some mojo and character, but that's just me!