Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Warwick

munkonthehill

Can anyone shed some light on this.

I have seen rockbass by Warwick and Warwick rockbass.

The rockbass has rockbass written on the headstock whereas the Warwick has the W as usual.

Is there a great deal of difference in these basses??

Also, has anyone got first hand experience of the rockbass by Warwick ones????

Edited by munkonthehill

I think the only difference is early/later series of the Rockbass range.. Not 100% sure which way round it was though (W headstock later series, Rockbass headstock earlier series!)

I had a Fortress 5 for a year or two, loved the tone but had a neck like a baseball bat, just too thick in depth for me tbh. Quite well built for a budget range, compared to some Epiphones and lower end Ibanez's I've owned. Hopefully someone better informed than I shall be along shortly!

If it says "Rockbass" in big letters on the headstock, it's the earlier ones (pre 2010). The later ones are better spec in many ways (e.g. 2-piece bridge, and much better QC), and had higher RRPs. But both had cheaper woods and electrics, and sometimes less contouring on the body, than the German Warwicks.
But of the two, I'd recommend you get a later one if you can.

Altho the later one have the big W on the headstock, when you actually play one you can tell their is a difference between that and the proper warwick. I'm not saying is bad but just pointing out the obvious.

I still would like to get the rockbass alien acoustic fretless bass tho lol.

The later models are far superior in my eyes, plus that font for 'ROCKBASS' on the headstock of the old models just looks cheap to be honest.

They use all the same hardware, pickups etc as German ones but the Pre-amps are different, I am never sure exactly how as they are still MEC units but they are slightly different set ups to on the German wicks.

Good basses but as always with the market how it is if you are looking at new Rockbasses get down to for sale on here, I got my Corvette for £400... for a German one second hand...

That is less than a new rockbass.

[quote name='munkonthehill' timestamp='1368722901' post='2080750']
Well I opted for a Warwick rockbass.

I only really got it as it was 5 string and I've been wanting a 5'er for a while now.

To be honest I would have taken any budget 5'er.

Only issue is that after playing this for a few days I realise that 5's just ain't for me :-( duh!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Don't want to sound patronising but you should give the 5'er more of a chance and maybe try it on some different material.

It worked really well for me when I was playing harder rock music but it took me a while to get past the first string not being an E and having to transpose my parts down a string.

Saying that I haven't played a 5'er now for 3 or 4 years but do miss it from time to time.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1368622498' post='2079306']
You can get a used German Warwick Corvette for the price you paid for the new later model rockbass warwick.

The quality of the german corvette is good and it feel and play like a proper warwick.
[/quote]

I bought an active fretless Corvette Rockbass in 2008(ish) and for the same price as I bought a second hand German Covette $$ on this site a few years later.