Why become a member? ×

Cab with Ampeg Portaflex 350.

JHasted1992

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi there,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm interested in buying an ampeg portaflex 350 and was just wondering what people would think on cabs for this head?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I really wasn't to sure to be looking for with it so any help would be nice.[/font][/color]

Well it depends on how loud/how much presence you are going to need as much as anything, along with budget. I`m assuming you like Ampeg tone seeing as you`re going for the PF (great sounding amps btw) so I`d recommend the PF410HLF. It`s not too weighty, and does those beautiful Ampeg tones very well. Plus, being a 4ohm 410 you`ll get all available power from your amp, and with a 410 have plenty of depth of sound.

The PF210 & 115 are great cabs, but from memory of trying them out, although they sound great, neither are particularly loud, so coupled with the 350, as each is an 8ohm cab you`d only be getting 200ish watts and in a loud band I think you would be struggling. Of course if it`s not a loud band, then maybe go for the 210 - it has a really nice sound to it.

I would say it all depends what you need for own requirements. A pair of decent 1 x 12"s or 2 x 10"s, with 300 watts headroom @ 8 ohms, should do the trick for every eventuality at amateur/hobby level. E.g. 1 cab for bedroom practice or recording, doubled up to 2 for gigs & rehearsals.

If you are semi pro and/or have a big enough car boot, go get a decent 4 ohm rated 4 x 10" with at least 400 watts headroom. The old Ampeg B410HF cabs really work well volume wise, possibly more so than the Portaflex cabs the PF 350 is supposed to go with.

Oh, and if you have-or can have/cart around-a full stack, as in a 4 x 10" & a 1x15",the PF 350 will siimply love it!

Edited by indiegrungesound

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1368714108' post='2080560']
That's actually why I made my comment. They had the cab in the shop where I purchased the PF 350, so I tried it & was impressed.
So if you get the cab to match with this head, you'll be quite pleased with the results!
[/quote]

Thanks for that! I am going to try it out next week and hopefully I'll be pleased with the results as well.

Edited by JHasted1992

I was just reading another thread on talkbass and a lot of the people were saying they were having problems with the PF350 and PF500 and saying that they cut out within months some people with in days of getting the head so it has kind of put me off purchasing one. I think me and friend were going to go to Denmark Street in London at the weekend so I was just wondering if people knew the best place to look for bass heads and cabs there?

I have heard about this from some other Basschatters before. If my memory serves me correctly though, I think there were only a few dodgy ones in the earliest batches of both of the amps.
The nearest I've ever had to a problem with mine is when I thought the limiter wasn't working properly. So I took it to renowned Mancunian amp fixer Roland Lumby. He told me it was all fine. The only two things he noted were that the PF 350 doesn't work that well if you use the tweeter/HF horn on your cab and that it probably puts out more than 250/350 watts.
Otherwise, I had no problems with it, touch wood. Then again, it is my back up head to my Hartke LH500, so thus far, I've not been hamstrung without it(Which is probably the now the kiss of death for both amps! :-S ;-))
Anyway, have fun with your shopping trip!

[quote name='JHasted1992' timestamp='1368800130' post='2081712']
I was just reading another thread on talkbass and a lot of the people were saying they were having problems with the PF350 and PF500 and saying that they cut out within months some people with in days of getting the head so it has kind of put me off purchasing one. I think me and friend were going to go to Denmark Street in London at the weekend so I was just wondering if people knew the best place to look for bass heads and cabs there?
[/quote]

From what I`ve read, nowhere there, as the shops seem to be rather lacking in any kind of customer service skills. The Bass Gallery in Camden seems to get some good comments though.

When in London I would not hesitate to go to Bass Gallery.

Great guys in a great shop that's absolutely packed with fantastic gear. Just leave the credit card at home or it could get very expensive.

I find Denmark street is better for the browse and dream situations.