Why become a member? ×

Lessons & what to expect.

I've been playing bass for just over a decade now and I've finally decided to stop bumming around and get some tuition.
I know it's the best way forward but it's all kinda new to me so my question is, what do I look for in a good tutor and what should I expect from my lesson's.
Advice gratefully received.

Steve

I'm way down the curve from you on the playing front so not sure really. I guess the key is what do you want to get from lessons? What is your goal?

I don't know your ability obviously but is it learn to read, learn more theory or just how to play tricky stuff you're struggling with? I would have thought a good tutor would be able to assess where you are at and advise a way forward. But then maybe I'm just spoilt as Dood is my tutor.

Edited by Steve G

I guess I just want to make learning songs easier and a little knowledge to help get what's in my head through the amp if that makes any sense. I've sourced a tutor & have my first lesson on Friday so fingers crossed for some real progression.

I did a similar thing to you after about 4 years of actual playing and several years before that of pretending to play. It was great to put names to things that I already knew, but didn't know what they were called, what they were for and why I used them. It kinda filled in gaps in the knowledge bank which made a lot of things make a lot more sense.

Well for starters a good teacher will be able to pick up on improper technique, any bad habits you might have developed and hopefully see any gaps in your knowledge etc. Well that was my experience when I started to have lessons B)

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1368571237' post='2078813']
Well for starters a good teacher will be able to pick up on improper technique, any bad habits you might have developed and hopefully see any gaps in your knowledge etc. Well that was my experience when I started to have lessons B)
[/quote]

I hope so, I know my technique is sloppy & probably hinders playing the more technical lines.