Why become a member? ×

To Boogie, or Not To Boogie

FunkingFunker

Brethren

Its time to go into rig territory. Finances are being kind and I'm doing more and more gigs in bigger venues and different sorts of music. I play in a latin/funk/fusion outfit but also a straight funk band and a dance/DJ think (think Squarepusher).

My current Roland DB500 just doesn't cut the mustard any more. I want something thats going to remove peoples hearts at a distance when I plug either my jazz or my EUB in.

I put this to Dave 'The Bear' at PMT in B'ham (What a splendid fellow). He immediately pointed me at the Mesa M Pulse 600. I had a great time playing with it, and I'm sorely tempted. However, I seek peoples experiences with them, and cabinet configurations as well. I need something punchy, heart stopping, but lightweight would be a bonus.

Any thoughts?

MTIA
tim

I've played thru one, but own a 300 (in a walkabout scout).

I've played my 300 Walkbout thru a Vintage powerhouse 2x10 and 1x15 now... (oh boy have I got serious GAS!)

Even this little tiddler will remove organs!

the 600 is more than enough to cause Richter scale registering volume, without sacrificing tone.

Several on here have them.

The Ampegs are also good.

I love Tom Jenkinson but I missed him at the Liverpool Phil' last Sat.
He uses a warwick and Tech Amp gear but there is a multi thousand watt PA in-between.
From what I've seen at Squarepusher gigs, he has the amp right next to him, like a monitor. So any good, clear, powerful combo would be ok.
Having said that, he has the amp and a feed to a monitor from the PA to mix his bass and front of house sound.
I think you need a really powerful amp, so as to cope with all the sub-bass, going into a full range speaker, that can handle all of the amp's power.
Schroeder, I think are the loudest of cabs, for what you put in them, ie, watts.
I'm really excited that there is another Basschatter who is into Tom, as I think he is one of the worlds most underrated bassists and a brilliant drummer too.
Go Plastic, was amazing but Ultra Visitor is on a different level.
Speak soon, Steve.

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='210885' date='Jun 2 2008, 12:48 AM']Are you wanting to kill from a distance without PA support?

I recommend the Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 - 300 Watts great tone etc.. There are reviews and threads a plenty on this combo. I will also recommend the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 which I play through one or two Aguilar GS112's which can be a 'lightweight' 600 Watt stack or a 300 and something Watt 1x12 stack - again there's loads of stuff here on cabs and the various formats - My Aggies also work with my Markbass R500 which is pretty much like the GB without as many lights - if you prefer an 'understated' mini rig of doom.

Everyone will have an opinion but if I had to choose one it would be the Boogie.[/quote]

Whilst I agree the Walkabout Scout is a fabulous combo, ( I Love mine and I'm not selling it......!) and it happily makes my trousers flap.....

As to removing organs?

It just hasnt got enough speaker to do that!

Thats why I suggested the M-pulse (300 or 600) through a 2x10 and 1x15.

OR Ideally and 8ohm Walkabout scout 1x15 and a 2x10 extension. That way you get the 1x15 and down firer, and a 2x10..

Tbh Any Mesa head is gonna be o so sweet. I play a BB750 into a GS212 and............. warm clean bassy goodness. The only difference between the BB750 and Mpulse 600 is the bigger tone options. Some say that the BB750 cant do clean and sterile but to me it cant go as hifi as I wish.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='210805' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:24 PM']I'm really excited that there is another Basschatter who is into Tom, as I think he is one of the worlds most underrated bassists and a brilliant drummer too.
Go Plastic, was amazing but Ultra Visitor is on a different level.
Speak soon, Steve.[/quote]

Saw Tom in Camber Sands last month. His new stuff is some serious next level business!!!!!!!!

Probably the best live act going IMO. Sickness.